Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Default 30 carbine bayonet

which bayonet sheath is correct for the wooden handle m4 bayonet? metal tip or non metal tip. i was thinking early bmco sheath but dont want to put the incorrect one on even though it fits.. would really rather have the correct one before purchase. thanks in advance for your time and consideration
Old 09-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Would you share some pics of your wood handle M-4? Sounds very cool.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM

I am not aware of any M4 bayonets made with a wooden handle. The handles were made of stacked leather washers and several manufacturers used plastic spacers at the top and bottom of the handle. I believe they originally had no metal tip on the scabbards. Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully confirm or correct me on this.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
which bayonet sheath is correct for the wooden handle m4 bayonet? metal tip or non metal tip. i was thinking early bmco sheath but dont want to put the incorrect one on even though it fits.. would really rather have the correct one before purchase. thanks in advance for your time and consideration
Metal tip scabbards come in two variety’s. Metal tipped repairs of older scabbard and Vietnam era scabbards. Don’t ask me which are which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav_cdr View Post
I am not aware of any M4 bayonets made with a wooden handle. The handles were made of stacked leather washers and several manufacturers used plastic spacers at the top and bottom of the handle. I believe they originally had no metal tip on the scabbards. Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully confirm or correct me on this.
I want to say that’d the Norwegian, the Danish, or the Italians made one with a wooden scabbard, but not positive of that.

Last edited by krdomingue; 09-23-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-2019, 04:55 PM

A couple links to some good information on the M4 bayonet from Bayonet Point's by the late Gary Cunningham for the OP

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_16.htm

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_17.htm

or link to all his information

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm
Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 PM

There were some M4 bayonets that were refurbished with a wooden handle but none that were originally made that way. As for the scabbard, I have a Danish M7 scabbard marked HTK under a crown that is for an M1 bayonet. It is laminated material like the USGI but has a finish that looks like wood grain. unless you touched it, you would swear it is wood.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:48 PM

The wood handles were added at rebuild...so any M8 type scabbard could be correct.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM

dang you guys are awesome thanks.... havent bought yet.. dont want to waste my money if not correct... i did see quite a bit of italion bayos at the last show the dec show is supposed to be the big one.. i know my typnting is crap but.. you get the point.. i did notice that italion bayos did have a number stamp on them.. i have one on standby tilll payday hopfully the missus will asist on posting pictures.. leather is supoosed to fail under hot n humed conditions and rubbver is to slippery and back to the good ol wood for if it aint broke dont fix it
Old 09-23-2019, 06:59 PM

The Italian examples are made to look like wood but are in fact plastic. I have a couple and they’re well made!!