Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Electronic Scoring

Are electronic scoring or portable target cameras allowed for CMP sanctioned matches?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 PM

If you mean your own, on your own personal target, No.
If you mean you as program director setting them up for all to use, and running the entire match that way...…………….. I don't know. (I would guess it would be ok but....)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 PM

I’m sure we’re like many small clubs where u don’t have a spotter. The scope is fine for most days but 200 yards is the max for 30 caliber. I’ve started shooting 223 and I don’t stand a chance seeing all of those at 200.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote View Post
Iím sure weíre like many small clubs where u donít have a spotter. The scope is fine for most days but 200 yards is the max for 30 caliber. Iíve started shooting 223 and I donít stand a chance seeing all of those at 200.

Make something like this at 0:29, or run a clothes line behind all targets.

http://https://youtu.be/wI7nLKl2FM4
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote View Post
Iím sure weíre like many small clubs where u donít have a spotter. The scope is fine for most days but 200 yards is the max for 30 caliber. Iíve started shooting 223 and I donít stand a chance seeing all of those at 200.
To be honest, I'm not sure whether you are wanting this for practice or a match. But either way...ÖÖÖ do as Broh suggests and put a backer behind the targets or post two targets downrange. One is the zero practice target which you zero on, walk down and check and go "for record" on the other. Or shoot one and zero, walk down and replace.
I mean if you cant see the impacts, you are stuck walking down to check.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Matches. Sometimes in 80 round matches my POI begins to drift a little, probably more from fatigue than the rifle getting hot. In the prone position where I should be able to hit the 9 or better it's sometimes hard to tell which was the last shot when there are already upteen holes. I've started marking my shots in a scoring book and that helps with slow prone but I don't have time to do this in rapid prone. In a match last year, my target just happened to be shaded such that it was impossible to see any shots in the black. I avoid that lane at all costs now.

I have one of the bullseye target cams; it's great at 200 yards and beats my Kowa hands down for 300 yards and up. In practice I mostly use the scope for mirage now. At a fraction of the cost of a good scope, I'm surprised I don't see more target cams.

I'll talk with our match director about the backer idea as most others have the same issue. Some guys have also told me at their club they cut the bull area out of the target backer and this helps.

I've shot at Talledega several times and the electronic scoring spoils you. I plan to shoot at Camp Perry for the first time this year; I'm looking forward to seeing the traditional pit system firsthand.