Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 PM

Default USS WASP CV-7 found!!!

R/V Petrel did it again. Found the USS WASP this time.

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/
Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM

This guy is really on a roll. I hope these things are too deep to be scavanged like so many other war graves have been. It makes me so angry when they go back to these things a year later and they are missing parts. I think most of the carriers are in very deep water, fortunately. It is neat when they find these and show them to some of the surviving veterans.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM

They're way too deep to salvage. They're safe from the looters. The ones in shallow waters around Indonesia and such aren't safe. PERCH is gone. Completely gone. Luckily she wasn't a war grave. Her entire crew was able to get off so no one died on board. HOUSTON and others aren't so lucky though. I wish they'd find some of them looting the ships and sink them.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 AM

On September 15, 1942 the I 19 under the command of Cdr Takaichi Kinashi fired a spread of 6 torpedos. 3 hit the Wasp (CV-7, one hit the O'Brien (DD-415) and one hit the battleship North Carolina (BB-55) about 11,000 yards away. The North Carolina was with the Hornet (CV-8) group. There were several submarines operating in the area that day. After the war it was originally thought the I 15 and I 19 made the attack. Further research and interviews revealed the Japanese had a torpedo capable of going 13,000 yards at 45 knots-Type 95 Mod 1, unknown to the US until after the war. Only the I 19 claimed to have made an attack that day. In 1986 four surviving I 19 crewmembers visited the North Carolina in Wilmington, one was a torpedoman.
The Wasp was the primary target. The hits on the O'Brian and North Carolina were basically lucky when they missed the Wasp.

Last edited by Unrep7; 03-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM

I am grateful that Paul Allen's passing did not stop the search for these ships.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM

Damn good job.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiep54 View Post
This guy is really on a roll. I hope these things are too deep to be scavanged like so many other war graves have been. It makes me so angry when they go back to these things a year later and they are missing parts. I think most of the carriers are in very deep water, fortunately. It is neat when they find these and show them to some of the surviving veterans.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's against the law to scavenge these because they are still the property of the U.S. Navy and are considered war graves just like the USS Arizona.

Last edited by TexHill; 03-14-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
It's against the law to scavenge these because they are still the property of the U.S. Navy and are considered war graves just like the USS Arizona.
And it's against the law for felons to possess a firearm and yet it doesn't stop some people does it? To some, if a dollar is to be made, it doesn't matter what the law says, and if there is no credible threat to enforce said law, whats to stop them? The sad reality of the world.

Here why these ships get salvage attention https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Last edited by DougS; 03-14-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 PM

Good for them. Great Job. Lot's of History there.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM

More video.

https://worldwarwings.com/company-th...0cPkYv_8tDg8RM

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA