Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Default Help with Case M4 Bayonet

I have some questions concerning a Case M4 bayonet. In general it looks pretty good to me. The blade is not perfect, though it looks better in person than in the photographs, and the pommel and its peen look right. My biggest concern is with the guard. The texture is very granular, almost like a sand cast part. The markings on the top of the guard are faint and hard to read, the ordnance bomb on the underside is so faint that only traces are still visible in perfect lighting.

Any ideas what is going on here? Anyone seen anything like this? Is this the product of a government refurb, a home refurb, or is something more deceptive?

Thanks for looking. Let me know if the images don't work!

https://imgur.com/a/cgwK3fb
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Appears to be just rust and pitting. Looks pretty bad still under it in the one picture. Someone tried to clean it up and that is what is left.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks for your input, that makes sense. It is strange that the guard was so heavily pitted, while the pommel and blade show virtually no corrosion. The grip doesn't show any evidence of moisture damage either. Any signs this has been taken apart at some point? If the parts were originally from different bayonets it would explain the difference in condition of the various components.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Was it in a scabbard or did it have something wrapped around it? A rag or something could have trapped moisture and corroded the handguard while leaving the blade and pommel mostly untouched. The blade looks to have some rust on it but the majority is on in that one area. Not an expert or anything but I have had stuff rust badly wrapped in storage before.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM

Looks sandblasted to me