Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 AM

Default Stock really close tilt test

My new CMP stock is really close to passing the tilt test ,when fully open it needs a small shake to get bolt to close. Is there a area that I should concentrate on for this specific problem?

Does the op rod press out and down when round is fired? When working op rod everything is fine but with a little downward pressure there are small marks on flat area of the stock where I had marks originally.
Jim

About a inch and a half in the middle of this mark is rubbing when I put downward pressure on op rod.

John Wayne in "Shootist"

Last edited by pappasue; 04-24-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Banned

OK, without you using some software to point out the problem, I'm guessing it is some rubbing by the oprod on the outside of the stock. Doesn't look 'orrible to me. But, never-the-less, you should work that down a little with some mild sandpaper. You haven't mentioned if you have gotten good groups. If you shoot it, it would be nice to know if your results are satisfactory.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 04-24-2014 at 05:08 AM. Reason: 1 ltr
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 AM

I fired the gun 8 times and after seeing the rub marks I stopped. I wasn't real serious during the first 8 because I read it takes 2 clips before the gun settles in after strip and clean.

I was firing at 50 yards and elevated rear sight 4 clicks but my 4 inch group was low about 5 inches.
With my 1945 garand I elevated 8 clicks and group was right on at 50 yards. This was my first time shooting either gun and I shot a clip out of my SC 03a3 for the first time as well so there was a lot of info to compute.

Ty
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Banned

Still no results target-wise. Here is an example of how the groups can improve from a rifle that needs to settle in.

Shot about five minutes apart.
The miniscule amount of rubbing I see on your stock,I wouldn't think would make that much difference. Shoot a few more rds and see what the result is.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 04-24-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM

Wow that's a huge difference.
I am trying to get out today, high of 58 degrees and sunny, great day to shoot but......life almost always interferes.
Ty
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 AM

Default Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
OK, without you using some software to point out the problem, I'm guessing it is some rubbing by the oprod on the outside of the stock. Doesn't look 'orrible to me. But, never-the-less, you should work that down a little with some mild sandpaper. You haven't mentioned if you have gotten good groups. If you shoot it, it would be nice to know if your results are satisfactory.
Ok here is a picture with the area I am talking about.

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 AM

If you have a Dremal tool (or similar tool) put a sanding drum with fine grit in the tool and do some light sanding up and down that area. Also check the end of the stock by the forward farrel for signs of rubbing. I had to releave the bevel at the top of the barrel channel and also lower the farrel.

There are a number of threads on where the stock needs some attention. After you get finished sanding rub some BLO to get the finish back.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7gxz View Post
If you have a Dremal tool (or similar tool) put a sanding drum with fine grit in the tool and do some light sanding up and down that area. Also check the end of the stock by the forward farrel for signs of rubbing. I had to releave the bevel at the top of the barrel channel and also lower the farrel.

There are a number of threads on where the stock needs some attention. After you get finished sanding rub some BLO to get the finish back.

Kevin
Yes I have as many threads I could find saved and I have read and read over and over but I haven't seen the answers to specific questions. I don't want to sand or take wood off for no reason, I am so close it is killing me, lol.

I have a spot I sanded where the receiver sits and one side is dark ,one side really light. Looks like CMP adds a little stain to the finish it puts on. BLO doesn't get it anywhere near dark enough so I added some stain then oiled over it. Still not as dark but close.
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasue View Post
Yes I have as many threads I could find saved and I have read and read over and over but I haven't seen the answers to specific questions. I don't want to sand or take wood off for no reason, I am so close it is killing me, lol.

I have a spot I sanded where the receiver sits and one side is dark ,one side really light. Looks like CMP adds a little stain to the finish it puts on. BLO doesn't get it anywhere near dark enough so I added some stain then oiled over it. Still not as dark but close.
Jim
I'm putting a video about fitting new stocks on youtube in a few days. I'll post a link when It's up. It's all about the process for fitting and certain checks to make sure you've removed enough material. It's pretty easy, but I want to start making videos because they're fun!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Yes I do a lot of football videos of clinics and have a extensive library of NFL and college games from 1906 to present plus I am given video by coaches to review and critique on their single wing offense. Video (starting with 8mm, 16mm film) is the biggest innovation in sports over the last 110 years.

There are so many aspects to think about like background, sound, picture quality, length, zoom and the nice thing is with today's cameras you can control most of this with a remote instead of having your wife do it.

Can't wait to see your video.
Ty
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"