Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Fortunately I only bought 100 rounds or so of that junk!
Still have it, makes me laugh every time i remember firing it
"Click.....pop...wth?"

Jh
Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM

No doubt, cordite does errode the throat MUCH quicker than nitrocellulose powder. Burns hotter. Mk VIIIz is a 175 gr boattail loaded with nitrocellulose powder to 2440 fps and perfectly safe to shoot in a No. 4 Enfield. Yes it was designed for machine gun use, only because of the boattail bullet increased max effective range.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM

And its not the cordite that deteriorates, its the primers going bad that makes the click bang. Pull the bullets, dump the powder and snap the primers and you will hear them just fizzle rather than snap.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Correction: Mk VIIIz was loaded to 2550 and not 2440 fps. Chamber pressure 20-21 tsi (vs Mk VIIz at 19.5 tsi). Mk VIIIz was approved for use in rifles and bren guns (both proofed to 25 tsi); but usually was only when the rifle ammunition supply ran out (emergency) or needed at night for reduced muzzle flash.

I've chrono'ed Canadian IVI Mk 8z cartridges (don't ask how I got them), I'll have to look up the muzzle velocity, but I do believe they were over 2440 fps (standard VIIz cartridge). By the way, it's rather incredible that the several different WWII and 1950s Canadian surplus Mk VIIz rounds I have still chronos at mean velocities of 2430 to 2450.

I might not shoot Mk VIIIz in a SMLE (No. 1 rifle), but wouldn't hesitate to shoot them in a No. 4. Many No. 4 rifles were converted to fire the 7.62 NATO round (I also have one of those converted rifles re-barreled for 7.62); and the No. 4 action was used in the Enforcer rifle (also, a 7.62).
Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrifles View Post
Correction: Mk VIIIz was loaded to 2550 and not 2440
Both velocity figures from the same weapon? Vickers MG barrel is 28" long.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM

That's a good question, since it was designed for the MG, I'd bet the MV is based on that weapon. In which case, there would likely be some reduction from the shorter rifle barrel, I suspect not much (and that would depend on the powder burn rate properties). Chamber pressures could even be slightly different depending on the chamber dimensions, throat, etc.