Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Default "Mix and Match" AP ammunition received

I received my can of AP ammunition today from CMP and it certainly was for a "collector"!

50-caliber-sized ammo can (not Spam can) which was marked for 1140 5.56mm cartridges. What was interesting was the bandoleers:

1) two bandoleers of TW53 - dusty but decent

2) one bandoleer of SL54

and, the most interesting of all:

3) one "composite" bandoleer of two clips of TW53, two of SL53 and two of AYR55!!!

(By the way, took just a one-round "sample" out of each clip. Didn't quite have the stamina to unload each of 24 clips).

While it may have been the "floor sweepings", I was sure glad to get it. Thanks, CMP!

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 07-14-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Something is better than nothing.Wonder if they had a lot of damaged cans and cases is the reason the end orders are showing up in cans with mixed bandos.I was hoping for some WW2 dated but no luck.Happy I even got any.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM

I was pleased as punch to get a second shot (no pun intended!) at the AP ammo. After the first batchy sold so quickly I thought I was out of luck. Thanks again to the couple of guys that let me know when it showed up again.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM

Hey Rick,
How was the "composite" bandoleer labeled?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAG-30-40 View Post
Wonder if they had a lot of damaged cans and cases is the reason the end orders are showing up in cans with mixed bandos.
The Greeks have a lot of environmental challenges, including some mean straight-razor-totin, spam-can-eating cave bats.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM

I posted earlier this week that I got a .50 can with mixed ammo. 50% of what I got in my can was not even AP. I got one bando of TW AP, one of SL AP, and the other two were ball ammo (various mfgs.)

So I called the CMP and the fella I spoke with said that the bandoleers were all repacked in Greece, I think. I'm sure the guys at the CMP haven't gone through and checked what's in each bandoleer.

Strangely, one of my bandoleers containing the ball ammo was actually labeled HXP. I am kind of surprised no one caught THAT.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM

A lot of the ammo in the recent sh!tload, er, um, shipload, must have been just loosed packed bandos in larger crates / boxes. That's why the CMP had to take so much time sorting it. and I'm sure they didn't look into every clip or else we'd still be waiting.

I am surprised that no one cought the hxp marked bando that canoer got.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM

The banoleer was marked TW (and lot number).

Again, not complaining, just thought it interesting! One of my favorite "minor hobbies" is buying those baggies of old ammunition and going through to see what I find.