Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Default What year Colt slide?

RGN #13,466
Received a FG Colt on Colt. This is a nice piece with a field service amount of wear and no rebuild markings. Minimal scratch from the slide lock which has serrated lines. The hammer is the thin one that is the textured as opposed to serrated lines like on the slide lock. Grips show a star with a K and a No. 5. Barrel is a "Colt 45 Auto" with a number #7 on it (very good condition). Frame has been around with wear on the finish, some finger ring marks and some dings but that is what I wanted. Some wear on the right grip likely from a holster.

Looks like some dirty rotten sailor dropped it in his sea bag and left for home after his service. Love it. I know it is not all going to match but it sure is nice to have a Colt/Colt/Colt with a clear and pretty pony on it. To the untrained eye, this pistol looks like an original and correct piece that was not rebuilt.

Which brings up the question. What year is this slide? I looked at the photos from that reference book and still cannot tell. The frame is Colt early Feb 1945 but the pony looks more like a 1942. The slide has no numbers on it but that stopped sometime in 42 so that doesn't help. It is the tail of the pony that throws me....It looks more 42ish. Also, from what I have seen, many of the 45 slides did not have a deep stamping of the pony so they are really hard to see.

I am happy that this one can be easily seen and would NOT trade this slide for a correct one or a 1945 with a hardly visible pony on it. (It is not a correct or original piece so keep it the way it is- and it looks fricking awesome). I am just trying to date it.

Let me know what you all think. What year Colt Slide?

Also, any ideas as to how one can date or ID parts that are not numbered? I don't know how you can tell if a bushing, for example, was Colt, RR or Jennings (joke there).

Thanks CMP for taking care of this Sailor (Navy VET/Expert Pistol). I really think they picked this one out for me special as they picked December 7th (that was a big day for the US Navy for any snowflake out there) for a certification date for one of my Garands and it is awesome too. Gotta frame that certification card. The military took a lot out of me, it is nice to have that be appreciated by CMP and you my fellow citizens. God Bless America- The greatest country ever. Vote and keep safe the Republic.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:56 AM

I would say it is a 1942 slide.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 PM

My 1132XXX Colt slide comes up as a 1943 and has the serial number under the firing pin stop.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:09 PM

I was wrong, I should have looked at Clawson’s.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 PM

I read that During World War Two, late 1943 somewhere around SN 1138000. Colt stopped putting serial numbers on slides.
"Colts between serial number 710001 and about 1139XXX have the serial number also underneath the firing pin stop plate."

Last edited by Capt.Tom; 07-11-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:17 AM

Okay, so perhaps it was a 1942 or 43 replacement slide? I though I read that colt had some unnumbered replacement slides, so could that be it?

I mean, does anyone think this ia a 1945 Colt slide? That would be sweet but it doesnt look right.

Perhaps a 1943.4.5.a1 Colt slide? Clawson's? What did that tell you? Can you elaborate on that?
Thank you all.

What was correct for a 1945 Colt with regard to the texture of the hammer and slide stop/release? I know they all got swapped around, that is no question.

I did look for these answers in the forum but may have missed a thread. If there is a detailed thread please direct me to it. Trying to learn more about this piece of history.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MGP View Post
Okay, so perhaps it was a 1942 or 43 replacement slide? I though I read that colt had some unnumbered replacement slides, so could that be it?

I mean, does anyone think this ia a 1945 Colt slide? That would be sweet but it doesnt look right.

Perhaps a 1943.4.5.a1 Colt slide? Clawson's? What did that tell you? Can you elaborate on that?
Thank you all.

What was correct for a 1945 Colt with regard to the texture of the hammer and slide stop/release? I know they all got swapped around, that is no question.

I did look for these answers in the forum but may have missed a thread. If there is a detailed thread please direct me to it. Trying to learn more about this piece of history.
As I mentioned in my post above, if it were a 42 or 43 it would have a serial number, it could be a 44 or 45 I suppose.