X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wdodd
    • Dec 2011

Just reloaded a few 1903 stripper clips this afternoon from a recent shipment from CMP and found 2 TW 52 headstamps among the usual assortment of 66 to 78 mixture. On the HXP headstamps, the letter "HXP" are relatively close together as is the "two digit date". However, on the TWs each of the 4 markings are evenly spaced around the head (think as 5 @ 12 o'clock, 2 @ 3 o'clock, W @ 6 o'clock, and T @ 9 o'clock. Anyone has a clue as to why?
    Thanks.

Comment

• raymeketa
      • Apr 2010

That's simply the way the headstamp bunter was made. It doesn't really mean anything is different about that ammo than any other TW.

Having said that, headstamp bunters worked the brass quite a bit, which hardened it. But, that's a good thing. And so, some bunters were made with the numbers spaced out in order to make the heads more uniform in hardness. Others were made with more letters and numbers than was necessary in order to achieve the same thing.

Maybe the TW numbers and letters were spaced out for one of those reasons. Or maybe not. The Army works in mysterious ways and sometimes they do things just because.

Ray

Comment

• wdodd
        • Dec 2011

Many thanks Ray !!

Comment

• steve ingalls
          • Jun 2012

Dick Culver listed an article titled U.S. GI Non- Corrosive Primers. It lists Start dates of non corrosive primer changeover, and an actual "Safe start Date". I copied the article off a forum link some time back. Google the title and authors name and it pops as an odcmp link. Dont know how to link it, sorry. Info very clear and unlike the chart easy to read! Heres the link http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf
          Last edited by steve ingalls; 03-29-2013, 06:01 AM. Reason: fixed link address

Comment

• edlmann
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by steve ingalls View Post
            Dick Culver listed an article titled U.S. GI Non- Corrosive Primers. It lists Start dates of non corrosive primer changeover, and an actual "Safe start Date". I copied the article off a forum link some time back. Google the title and authors name and it pops as an odcmp link. Dont know how to link it, sorry. Info very clear and unlike the chart easy to read! Heres the link http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGIpdf. Link wont come up! . works if you type address in
            You missed a period (.) between "USGI" and "pdf".

fixed liky thingy
            A few variations on the black-cat-in-a-dark-room analogy:
            1. Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat.
            2. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there.
            3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"

Comment

• steve ingalls
              • Jun 2012

Thanks! Im not too computer savvy. Great info! Answers a lot of ammo questions on the forum. Address has been revised with period.
              Last edited by steve ingalls; 03-29-2013, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• IamCaleb
                • May 2013

I found these in my recent can of HXP. I have no clue on these head stamps, if anyone here knows...please share the info. Is it corrosive?

Three- SL 45
                One- K 53

Comment

• steve ingalls
                  • Jun 2012

SL 45 is St Louis Ordinance Plant and IS corrosive. Don't know about the K stamp.

Comment

• raymeketa
                    • Apr 2010

SL 45 is St. Louis Ordnance Plant, 1945

K 53 is very probably Kynoch Factories, England, 1953

Comment

• IamCaleb
                      • May 2013

Thank you, I will keep them separate from the rest.

Comment

• wdodd
                        • Dec 2011

Got about 60 or so VC45headstamps out of a box I opened this afternoon. Based on the charts and forum discussions, may I assume these are corrosive??

Also, had one DM4 .... Anyone know anything about that one?

Thanks.

Comment

• jmm
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by wdodd View Post
                          Got about 60 or so VC45headstamps out of a box I opened this afternoon. Based on the charts and forum discussions, may I assume these are corrosive??

Also, had one DM4 .... Anyone know anything about that one?

Thanks.
                          http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf
                          VC is Non-corrosive for all years
                          DM is corrosive for all years
                          Usually a single #, 4 or 5 or 6 on U.S. ammo indicates 1944, 1955, 1966 respectively, but not all lots used this system of numbering.
                          Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given rights, not government granted rights.

Comment

• steve ingalls
                            • Jun 2012

VC is Verdun arsenal Canada and all are non corrosive from its start in 45 on.

Comment

• wdodd
                              • Dec 2011

Thanks Guys ... Really appreciate your knowledge. Wayne

Comment

• Orest
                                CMP Board Member
                                • Sep 2009

CMP did not delink any ammo. Contracvtors working for the Greek Army did the delinking in Greece. CMP staff does go through each can to pull out what is not M2 Ball - that's where we found this ammo.
                                CMP Chief Operating Officer

Comment

Working...
                                X