Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavil58cm View Post
I'll be interested to see what gets delivered to me in a few weeks. I went ahead and ordered one of the Winchester variants. I'll sell some of my other rifles to fund it. Am going to try and post pictures when it does arrive.
You got point duty this batch..lol. I will be watching for your post.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to OldGrouchyGuy

I had just recvd a field grade special in 308 right before they sold out and liked it so much I bought a WRA service grade special (also in 308) as a placeholder in the collection since I had all other manufacturers (SA, IHC and HR) except for WRA. I can't wait until it gets here. That will give me something to pass the time while I'm waiting for the RNG on the 1911's.

Last edited by OldGrouchyGuy; 10-16-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: left something out
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

FedEx just delivered my .308 Special and it is a great looking rifle. Dark gray finish, nice new walnut stock. Needs a bit of lubrication on the action, drop of oil and a dab of grease. I will try and provide some images later this evening or tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavil58cm View Post
FedEx just delivered my .308 Special and it is a great looking rifle. Dark gray finish, nice new walnut stock. Needs a bit of lubrication on the action, drop of oil and a dab of grease. I will try and provide some images later this evening or tomorrow.
Nice. Please do, was there much pitting on receiver ?
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Last edited by pavil58cm; Yesterday at 08:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

Looks great ! My order is inbound.
Out of curiosity, What was the serial # range ?
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Serial number is 1.3 million. Expensive I know but what the heck. As I've mentioned, I think I did anyway, I'll just have to try and part with another rifle.

Excepting the receiver it looks to have all Springfield parts. Op rod, bolt, hammer, and trigger housing are all SA. I didn't bother to check the safety and other small internals.

It's quite different from my other and well worn Garands. Tight lock-up between the trigger group and stock. Of course the action is tighter too due to the fresh Parkerizing. Had to really make sure that bolt was locked all the way back!

I didn't see anything I'd really call pitting and if it's there it is very minor. The Winchester logo on the receiver heel is easily read as is the serial number. The gas cylinder has a nice dark finish too. I didn't pay attention to the gas cylinder lock screw other than to note it is not a single-slotted, solid one. Even the buttplate is nice and crisp.

The stock has a minimum amount of overhang at the buttplate, maybe a business-card thickness, maybe two thicknesses. There is not a lot of excess wood at the stock ferrule either. It's there but I've seen a lot worse. I think the stock will need some oil.

That's all I can think of at this time. Any questions just ask and I'll be happy to take a look and try and provide an answer.