Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin666 View Post
In the SG HRA rack we also found a rifle with an IHC stock. Can't remember the number stamped on the inside of the stock, but it was cool.
I guess you don't realize that the IHC stock is nearly worth the price of the rifle alone, especially if it is properly cartouched...

I guarantee someone followed behind you and scarffed that one up!

~QS~
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Default SS Store This Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I guess you don't realize that the IHC stock is nearly worth the price of the rifle alone, especially if it is properly cartouched...

~QS~
I'm still learning. Only been at this for about a year and every time I visit the store, or come home and read about M1s, I learn something new. The stock in question appeared to have been sanded as there was not a clear cartouche on the outside.

It was another customer who pointed it out to me as we were looking through the racks. He showed me what to look for on the stock. The butt of the stock also had several short cracks causing the wood to flare out where it met the buttplate. The customer told me that was due to the fact that sometimes the fit wasn't quite right.

He did mention that the stock would still probably be worth the price of the rifle, but as I mentioned before, I was already tapped out ($$). If I hadn't been I probably would have considered buying not only the IHC stocked rifle, but the one with the IHC bolt and gas plug. Live and learn right?

I'm sure you are probably right about someone else getting it. Oh well...next time I'll be a bit more deliberate.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Speaking only for myself (of course), enjoyment of our hobby (one of several for me) doesn't always translate into the consistent purchasing of items that promise the greatest commercial return on the expenditure. Purchase of a rifle with a very valuable IHC stock when one may not have the IHC rifle to attach it to for some time may leave the purchaser with a "hollow victory," so to speak. Yes, the stock may be sold for a profit, but the purchaser is still left with a rifle of limited desirability and the requirement to incur the time and cost of a follow-on visit to the store to acquire the item desired to begin with. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the report, I will try to make the trip soon for one of the M1Ds.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

~QS~
I have been to the SS 5 times and never found an IHC stock. I was going to load up and go Friday night but the dim lights went out on my truck. My wife told me, "see that's a sign right there that you don't need to go."

When I saw this report, I emphasized the IHC stock find several times. LOL

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Speaking only for myself (of course), enjoyment of our hobby (one of several for me) doesn't always translate into the consistent purchasing of items that promise the greatest commercial return on the expenditure. Purchase of a rifle with a very valuable IHC stock when one may not have the IHC rifle to attach it to for some time may leave the purchaser with a "hollow victory," so to speak. Yes, the stock may be sold for a profit, but the purchaser is still left with a rifle of limited desirability and the requirement to incur the time and cost of a follow-on visit to the store to acquire the item desired to begin with. Just a thought.
Tennboy, I think you nailed it when it comes to my purchasing habits. Admittedly, I would certainly love to have a more or less correct IHC, but I do buy these rifles with the intent of of making them part of a personal collection. Some of my purchases can be summed up by liking the way something looks as opposed to the rarity/correctness. There are other intangibles such as wanting one that was made during the month and year of my birth or one that could have been in service during my father's stint in the Korean War.

Of course, let's not rule out the fact that inexperience also plays into buying decisions somewhat. I remember my first purchase a little over a year ago. I wanted one that looked good, had new wood, and would be a good shooter. A friend told me the basics about what to look for (MW, TE, etc.). It was indeed a real mix master with that infamous orange birch. HRA with SA bolt and trigger group, HRA barrel, SA oprod and an IHC gas plug. But with a MW of 1 and TE of 2 it has proved to be a very reliable shooter. I have switched a few parts out since, but it's still not correct and probably never will be.

Going back to the selections in the SS yesterday, I think that there was a broad enough selection for most folks to find something they wanted to take home. Basically every customer I talked to was buying something. I know that the three HRAs with LMR barrels all found a home during my visit. I'm sure that IHC stocked HRA got picked up as well. I'm looking forward to my next visit.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Were there any krags out on the racks still?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the report. Always good to get an update. Only thing is we all wish we were there.