Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Spare parts are they worth anything?

Took a M1 Garand in trade that was converted to a tanker then converted back again. I have parts given to me that where the “tanker” days. I have the barrel, op rod, a piece of the handguard, op rod spring and guide. Is there any value to these part and do people search modified parts like these out?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 PM

There are two tanker op-rods for sale on Gun Broker right now. One for $135 and the other for the stupid price of $600. You could probably sell it all as a kit for $3 to 4 hundred. First question I would have is why did they convert it back? Did it function. Many did not function that well as the tanker design is pretty close to a bubba job.

Last edited by krdomingue; 05-23-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 AM

I think there was a WTB ad on the forum recently looking for tanker parts.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. Not as well versed in this stuff. The gun was a close buddy’s who bought it in the tanker configuration. We took it the ranges couple of years ago and it wouldn’t cycle. He thought he had something rare. I told he did not. He ended up having a local gunsmith return it original configuration. Same issues still existed. He ran out enthusiam for the trouble shooting and wanted a 1911 I had more. So we traded. He dropped off the parts in the imgur link last night. I haven’t measured the piston on the one in the picture. I have deemed the gas cylinder on the rifle out of spec ( a empty 7mm rem mag case falls to the floor through the cylinder). I’ve switched out the cylinder for one I have on another rifle that is in spec. I changed out the schuster plug that he had on it too. I plan on seeing if this does the trick.

https://imgur.com/a/Uxbp8Z7
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Seems like the same problems were there after the re-conversion. Leads me to think it wasn't the tanker build.

My tanker works great. Built it from a conversion kit (cost me $230) and have never looked back. I use an adjustable gas plug to modulate the gas though.

Always a hoot to shoot and almost always get curious looks and questions.

Last edited by tankerG; 05-24-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Yeah neither do I. I think it’s a combo of:

- The gas cylinder is truely the constant in all of this. Pre-conversion, post conversion. I am putting my inspec gas cylinder on to test this.

- the schuster was closed.

- the op spring, I put a new one in it.