Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post

Bolt: D28287-19SA A-6 (Duff says D28287-19SA A-8 would be correct)

Trigger Housing: D28290-12-SA (Duff says should be D28290-18-SA)

Hammer: C46008-3 SA (Should beC46008-8 SA)

Follower - correct 12 marked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since you have a receiver leg marked Springfield rebuild, don't worry about what is correct/not correct. Any part that was made on or before the date on the receiver leg is correct. The receiver leg etch tells everyone that it was a rebuilt rifle. If you are looking to have a corrected WWII rifle, it is better to find one without a receiver leg etch, with an original finish, and an original barrel as a starting point. ...Just my advise, but it is your rifle so do as you please.

Nice rifle. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 AM

Default Wood Type

Is that walnut wood for the stock?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Yea, I don’t really plan to make changes. This one will be a paper punch. I did inventory all the parts though in case I decide to try to put together a correct gun as I’ve got a lot of Mid-War parts now.

It will be strange searching for a Barreled Receiver that matches as many parts as possible but so be it!

I’ve also been trying to get the “inexpensive” small WRA parts for my Aug 41 WRA. I can’t afford the expensive parts and it lacks the WRA barrel so she will never be correct but I like having her closer to what she was originally. Perhaps someday I will get lucky and get an early WRA barreled action with WRA barrel?

I just wish I was close to one of the stores - 7hrs to the north store and 14 to the south store makes this tough.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM

Default My first CMP Rifle - Springfield SG 3,598,xxx

I finally got to take her to the range. I put about 40 rounds through her (I don’t have my rifle log in front of me) and all were off a bench as I have inner ear challenges and yesterday I couldn’t shoot in position if I wanted to.

I had one failure to extract early on (within first 8 shots) and I blamed that on the new parkerized barrel but case looked ok so I continued shooting.

I tried one 8-shot group at the end of my session and I managed to get 5/8 inside a 1.5-inch group but the other three opened my groups up to about 4-inches. I need another session when my ear chaps he’s are not acting up as I was struggling to get my sight alignment.

The other thing I figured out is this Springfield is going to be rough on case heads, certanly rougher than my WRA as most brass shows a nibble out of the rim. I hope to shoot her at a JCG Match this Sunday. At least she is zeroed and ready.

Top is this Springfield, bottom is my WRA. The WRA is also shooting well but the Springfield has a better trigger and is intended to by my match gun as I try to “correct” my WRA.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 05-25-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
Ok, it was the first CMP gun I ordered but while waiting I bought a 1903, a pair of M1 Carbines, and a Winchester M1 Garand locally that were all CMP guns or so I believe in the Winchester’s case (letter sent to verify).

The gun is a March 1945 Late WW2 gun (updated). The Muzzle reads just over a 1 and the throat is just under 1 on my gauge. She came in New CMP wood that is very tight. I need to work on checking her fit to make her my JCG Match gun.

The stock is very rough feeling so she needs a light sanding and then I will stain her with USSR stain and get BLO on her.

The only problem with her is the rear sight windage doesn’t work. I took everything apart and tried fixing it but no luck. Otherwise, the gun was quite clean so tomorrow I will work on any fitting needed for the stock (Ref: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....rand+cmp+stock ) then get that refinished as well as call the CMP about the rear sight.

Details here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=228482&page=2

Parts Details:

Receiver marked SA 1/64 but the barrel is marked: SA 6535448 1 65 Y72 (January 1965)

Bolt: D28287-19SA A-6 (Duff says D28287-19SA A-8 would be correct)

Trigger Housing: D28290-12-SA (Duff says should be D28290-18-SA)

Hammer: C46008-3 SA (Should beC46008-8 SA)

Follower - correct 12 marked

Rest is mostly unmarked other than ICH windage knob that seems to need repair/replacement.

Here are a few pics.

A few more pics

Beautiful rifle, bud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk