Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Purchasing a replacement gas cylinder

So I have a 43í Springfield and pending some shooting tomorrow with a poached gas cylinder from another Garand to see if my cycling issues are cured. If so I will need another gas cylinder. Outside of it being gauged and in spec are all makes created th same or do I need to stay away from anything? I do plan on having it rebarreled by Shuff this summer.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 PM

Any USGI gas cylinder will fit. They are often for sale on this forum. eBay also. It would surprise me is you get a PM from somebody wanting to sell you one. Check the e-store. they often have parts for sale, although I would be surprised if they have a gas Cylinder.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 AM

There are Korean manufactured gas cylinders out there. Avoid them. Otherwise any in spec cylinder will work. I assume you're certain your op rod piston is in spec and not worn or oval shaped?

Is this a recent CMP purchase? If so have you contacted them about your cycling problem?

Last edited by lapriester; 05-26-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 AM

I donít think itís from the CMP. I picked it up from a buddy. He picked up via local gun shop many years ago. I measured the piston on the op rod and itís barely in spec. The gas cylinder had a 7mm rem mag case goes through the cylinder. I poached the inspec cylinder off of my CMP purchased Garand I picked up 10y ago. I also poached the op rod spring and and the gas plug. Testing it out in a couple of hours.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 AM

You may want to take that op rod off your other rifle with you also just in case that piston is bad then you will know for sure whats wrong