Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Default How's the fit of new CMP stocks?

I'm ordering my first service grade soon and am curious how well fitted new stocks are? Are they grossly oversized, do they require clearance work in the proper areas?

I am asking because I am a stocksmith/gunsmith by trade and am extremely picky with my wood.

Just curious what the quality is like on them. Thanks

Proud owner of a 1954 GMC Deuce and a half
Old 05-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Most will work without any fitting, but some need tweaking. Lock up will be tight.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Mine I received late last week seems tight. I am going to go through the tacked thread to check all the details ASAP but first look it is tight fitting. It will need a light sanding and stain and finish too but the wood on mine looks good.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Your a stocksmith, you'll figure it out.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Only two of my many M1 Garands from the CMP have CMP stocks. Both of these are very nice and neither if them have required any fitting for proper function. Only thing I have done is apply raw tung oil to them.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Some rear handguards need trimming; too long to snap into place.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 AM

I got one on a special back in 2015 and it did not require any fitting. That said it did have a big back porch and you are not going to mistake it for usgi, but it is solid and very functional. I put rlo on it and it really looked good.

Its basically the same stock set that Dupage and Boyds sell. I had one of those that I sanded down to my taste and then stained with Chestnut Ridge military walnut stain cut will Gayle Lock #69 dark walnut to tone down the reds. Just have to put a lite coat as the oils you use on the wood will make it darken a lot.

Have fun.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
I'm ordering my first service grade soon and am curious how well fitted new stocks are? Are they grossly oversized, do they require clearance work in the proper areas?

I am asking because I am a stocksmith/gunsmith by trade and am extremely picky with my wood.

Just curious what the quality is like on them. Thanks
They are not well fitted, in fact, not fitted at all. Just put on out of the box and the rifle shipped. Almost all will need substantial fitting to assure proper fit, clearances for accuracy and reliable function. If you don't you're probably not getting as good an accuracy potential out of your rifle...in fact you won't get that without fitting it. All will have very tight lockup that may require using a rubber mallet to reclose the trigger guard once you open it. Best to just leave the trigger guard closed for an extended period of time to allow the wood to compress. Don't remove wood to make it easier to close or a new stock may be in your future once the wood naturally compresses.

There is an extended thread in the How To's Forum on stock fitting. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147599

Some of the stuff listed there is a bit extreme or may not be needed on your particular rifle so, as a stocksmith you should evaluate what you get before jumping in with both feet.

Last edited by lapriester; 05-21-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
Some rear handguards need trimming; too long to snap into place.
Snap into place? That's a hazardous way to install rear hand guards.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
Your a stocksmith, you'll figure it out.
Lot's of help here for a simple couple of questions. Bad day?