Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2022, 01:12 PM

Default Question about Auction #7494

Is the receiver reparked?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 01-22-2022, 02:44 PM

I tried to look closely at this one, the side views in IMO looks like it has been refinished, the shot of the heel doesn't really look like it. The barrel appears to be a match barrel and has a bright chamber and the polishing on the bottom of the chamber area seen on the AFPG rifles. The receiver has the hole drilled for the detent also seen on those rifles and others. It could be a put together but from my experience with the auctions the pictures sometimes look nothing like the actual rifle or receiver. There is no sign of wear anywhere on the receiver that I can see so it very well could be a refinish that has had the barrel installed.

Edit: I just looked again and I can't see sign of wear from a stock, op rod, nothing. I would have to say the receiver is a repark.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261

Last edited by Nodak71; 01-22-2022 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 01-22-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak71 View Post
I tried to look closely at this one, the side views in IMO looks like it has been refinished, the shot of the heel doesn't really look like it. The barrel appears to be a match barrel and has a bright chamber and the polishing on the bottom of the chamber area seen on the AFPG rifles. The receiver has the hole drilled for the detent also seen on those rifles and others. It could be a put together but from my experience with the auctions the pictures sometimes look nothing like the actual rifle or receiver. There is no sign of wear anywhere on the receiver that I can see so it very well could be a refinish that has had the barrel installed.

Edit: I just looked again and I can't see sign of wear from a stock, op rod, nothing. I would have to say the receiver is a repark.
I had the same idea that it was reparked but what's throwing me off is the painted serial number. I've never seen a repark with a painted serial number, but then I'm a relative noob at this game. What do you think?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:40 PM

I had missed the white highlighting in the numbers. I looked more at closeups from the top. It has what looks like a mark from a rear sight base and I think I can see some very light wear on the very top of the op rod track. At least the pics show what looks like a little shiny area where the op rod would run. Have to say it is a strange one. The barrel appears to be original finish of course. These AFPG rifles were assembled from existing rifles so it would be possible to have a refinished receiver mated with a new match barrel. If this has not been refinished it has seen very little use as normally you can see scuffing on the legs from the stock at least. I did not see an NM type mark on the side of the barrel between the GC rings. You can see the modification to the shoulder where the band sits also. My AFPG is buried in the safe at the moment so can't look at that one for comparison.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
Old 01-22-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I had missed the white highlighting in the numbers. I looked more at closeups from the top. It has what looks like a mark from a rear sight base and I think I can see some very light wear on the very top of the op rod track. At least the pics show what looks like a little shiny area where the op rod would run. Have to say it is a strange one. The barrel appears to be original finish of course. These AFPG rifles were assembled from existing rifles so it would be possible to have a refinished receiver mated with a new match barrel. If this has not been refinished it has seen very little use as normally you can see scuffing on the legs from the stock at least. I did not see an NM type mark on the side of the barrel between the GC rings. You can see the modification to the shoulder where the band sits also. My AFPG is buried in the safe at the moment so can't look at that one for comparison.
You make me think it wouldn't be worthwhile to restore. I'm only interested in the receiver because I have a collector-grade barrel correct for it, and most of the internals in mint condition as well as a beautiful GAW stock.

But if it's an AFPG B/R pair, I guess most would say leave it alone. But I'm not interested in collectible B/Rs to tell you the truth.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:05 PM

Ok so you are thinking building it back to the receiver's original configuration? That would work ok I guess but you do have the modified right ear on the receiver, the hole may not be a problem with lockbar sights installed. You could probably peddle the match barrel for a decent price. Right now the price isn't too bad I don't think for the B/R, I think it would be tough to get it built back to an AFPG as those had the stocks with build dates and serial stamped into them. One could just make a generic match rifle also out of it. Good luck.

Edit: Looked again at this and saw "NM" on the barrel. There is another very close condition B/R that has a little more wear, the tag on that one says "AF". These are maybe both former AFPG B/R.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread

Last edited by Nodak71; 01-22-2022 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ok so you are thinking building it back to the receiver's original configuration? That would work ok I guess but you do have the modified right ear on the receiver, the hole may not be a problem with lockbar sights installed. You could probably peddle the match barrel for a decent price. Right now the price isn't too bad I don't think for the B/R, I think it would be tough to get it built back to an AFPG as those had the stocks with build dates and serial stamped into them. One could just make a generic match rifle also out of it. Good luck.

Edit: Looked again at this and saw "NM" on the barrel. There is another very close condition B/R that has a little more wear, the tag on that one says "AF". These are maybe both former AFPG B/R.
I hadn't noticed that hole on the receiver at the right sight ear until you mentioned it. That pretty much makes it a pass for me. Someone else with the parts and know how might be able to restore it, or just keep as-is. Pretty disappointing because receivers are so hard to find right now.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
I hadn't noticed that hole on the receiver at the right sight ear until you mentioned it. That pretty much makes it a pass for me. Someone else with the parts and know how might be able to restore it, or just keep as-is. Pretty disappointing because receivers are so hard to find right now.
Yep, receivers are tough to find, way back the CMP sold stripped receivers but they only want to sell complete rifles now except for the ones on the auction for high dollar. I had a decent B/R from the time period you are looking for but of course I sold it a couple years back. Maybe try a WTB? Can't hurt. Again, good luck finding what you need.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread