Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Default Advanced Maintenance Course Report

I was fortunate to attend the latest AMC 28 February Ė 1 March. It was money well spent for a once in a lifetime experience. I highly recommend it to M1 enthusiasts or those that just want to build a great rifle. Terrific instructors for the Custom Shop (Chris, Brent, Lucas, and Chris). Extremely knowledgeable about the weapon system and build specs. Help was available at every stage of the build.

Day 1
Selected Receivers: Only Springfield receivers available (No Winchester, Harriet and Richardson, or International Harvester). Very little, if any, difference between CMP Special and Rack Grade Special receivers. Many RG receivers were as good or better than the Specials. A few six-digit receivers and nothing above 5.4 million. Pick an RG and save yourself $200. All additional parts were the same quality, all were refinished.

Mounted Krieger barrels to the receivers and set timing and checked headspace.

Selected Bolts and assembled the parts: Mostly SA with a few IHC mixed in. I didnít see other manufacturers. Learned how to lap the bolt to the receiver and barrel.

Toured the storage and working areas. No picture taking allowed. Amazing amounts of weapons that should keep the CMP supplying M1s returned from the Philippines for years. Of note, the workers inspecting and grading the rifles are not armorers but are put through the AMC to increase their level of knowledge and skills.

Day 2
Visit to the CMP South Store. Students are allowed in 30 minutes early. There was a rush on the M1903s. The staff was very helpful. I was assisted by Bobby who found me the SG IHC M1 I desired. I am very appreciative for his assistance.

Trigger assembly: mostly SA available with a few IHCs mixed in. No milled triggers. The staff walked us through the assembly process twice.

Finished installing internal parts, oprod (I installed an uncut oprod on my rifle) and stock fitment.

Day 3
Classes on accurizing the M1: Trigger jobs, accounting for creep, barrel peening, lower band and handguard adjustments, glass bedding, national match gas cylinders, and NM and USAF sight modifications.

Trip to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park about 20 minutes away. 30 years in the Army and Iíve never seen such incredible ranges. Ranges are electronic with immediate feedback to a monitor setting at your side, no need to halt firing and trudge down to the target to see how well you fired. The monitors even tell you what adjustments to make.

After the instructors test fired our weapons we were free to use the facilities for the rest of the day. They supplied 20 rounds per student. Additionally, you can purchase 200 rounds of Creedmoor 30.06 ammo per weapons purchased at a 25% discount.

Other notes:
Lunch was provided all three days (pizza, wraps, and BBQ)
Hotels are available within a few minutes of the classroom. Standard rate is $96 plus taxes.

If you have any questions Iíll try my best to answer them.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Jan 2019 was a glorious time for me at the AMC

Would go again to learn even more - just having some trouble figuring out how to get SWMBO to think it was her good idea!

Old 03-07-2020, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the report! Can't wait for my class at the end of the month!
Old 03-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMKS View Post
Jan 2019 was a glorious time for me at the AMC
Ditto in December.

Last edited by TLB; 03-07-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Can you tell me more in detail about the selection of the receivers
Old 03-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Fantastic class! Great instructors! The entire event including tours allowing us to converse with SME's around the company. A huge storehouse full of information, not only filled with goodies.
I got into the Feb 2020 class. The selection of parts was very good.
Now, I don't mean to imply that you get to build a specific parts perfect rifle. I would guess that you get what you get. It may be hit or miss, the company is in constant production. I would guess its something like walking into the store, what's there is there.

A pic of Luke one our instructors and my new rifle.

https://imgur.com/SiVQbgD
Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
Can you tell me more in detail about the selection of the receivers
When I went, they had two tables covered with a black cloth. One contained Field grade receivers, one Service grade. Field grade were marked with a zip tie through the rear sight ear. Receivers are graded before blasting and refinish, so there can be field grade receivers that were as good or better than service grade. In my class all the receivers had some level of pitting. We were given maybe 10 minutes to make our selections. It was a speed walking dash to the tables, but overall the selection was quite orderly. All SA receivers for us ranging from 6 digit to 4M. As the build proceeded we were also given the opportunity to hand select the trigger housing, bolt and op rod.