Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Talking Good to finally be back

Had a great time at the store this morning.
In spite of the new norm I met and talked with several customers.
I had a 9:30 am appointment but arrived at opening (yea, I can't help myself) and there was room so I got to go on in right away.
The third rifle I picked up up was an IHC SG SN 4448228. This is an IHC/IHC in the 444 serial range and one that I did not have in my IHC collection (definitely on my bucket list). An LMR barrel with breech in the white so I am thinking likely original to the receiver even if the date seems a bit late for a 444. Definitely a Philippine Return and in need of a good scrubbing. Decent original receiver finish and a mix of IHC parts like the Bolt, Rear Sights and Gas Cylinder were enough to make me pull the trigger on it quickly. The CMP stock will go to someone who needs it worse than I do but I have a '52 dated IHC stock I will put on it.
I think I will add it to my IHC collector variations thread since now I will have all three of the varieties in the 444 serial number range (SA/IHC Arrowhead, SA/IHC Postage Stamp and finally the IHC/IHC Postage Stamp).

I also saw three WRA SG rifles with WRA barrels, which I would have been interested in if I had any money left after selecting the IHC.
Also saw a couple worn carts like a GAW and a JLG.
One SA FG was wearing a decent IHC stock that was also tempting.

Saw another rifle on my bucket list. it was a 575 HRA with an original 8-53 SA barrel. It was just a bit too much Field Grade for me so I let it stay in the rack. It is only the 2nd one I have seen in the racks at the CMP since I have started looking for one. I wish I had been looking back when the CMP had the Greek Air Force returns....

For whatever reason I did not do my normal practice of picking up and examining every rifle in the rack. I attribute that to the excitement of finally being back in the store and see old friends.

I have another appointment next Saturday at opening and maybe I will do better on that trip.
Looking forward to it already

Rob
Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Store visits

Some may know this but I didn’t so I wanted to share. You are ALLOWED a total of 6 reservation to the store a month......
Old 06-08-2020, 01:01 PM

I just wanted to thank Bobby, Colby and Britt for helping me find two amazing rifles for me to bring home to my son an awesome Winchester M1 with Winchester barrel and an awesome 1903 Marine rifle from 1917. Thank you all so much I hope I can come back and visit you all soon what an honor to get such amazing rifles on the anniversary of D-Day!!! You have no idea how happy you made us!!!

Last edited by wolves81283; 06-08-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM

I need to get signed up for an appointment...………….does Talladega require the same?
Old 06-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH223 View Post
I need to get signed up for an appointment...………….does Talladega require the same?
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=263855
Old 06-08-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
Some may know this but I didn’t so I wanted to share. You are ALLOWED a total of 6 reservation to the store a month......
It's a shame we can't have same day consecutive appointments. For folks like me that has to travel long distances with limited opportunities to make the trip 30 minutes of shopping time isn't worth the effort and travel cost.

Last edited by Ronwall; 06-08-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
It's a shame we can't have same day consecutive appointments. For folks like me that has to travel long distances with limited opportunities to make the trip 30 minutes of shopping time isn't worth the effort and travel cost.
In the past without time limits, I've gotten to the north store and was done in 20 minutes. They usually either have what you want, or they don't. If you're there for more than 30 minutes it's because you haven't found anything you really wanted, and are waiting around for a re-stock. Of course it helps to have a goal in mind before you get there so you don't lose focus.

They make it way easier nowadays. In the old days you didn't know the TE or ME or barrel type at first glance unless you picked up each rifle and used a gauge. Now they have a blue tag with measurements, barrel manufacturer and barrel year. Makes things go a lot easier and faster.

This reservation system will not last much longer. If you don't like it, wait until later in the summer to go.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 06-09-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Collectors who travel long distances prefer to take the time to examine the internal parts of rifles to determine their collectibility . This is beyond what is marked on the blue tag. Store Management understands this and allows extra time as long as Covid-19 requirements are still met relative to store capacity .
Old 06-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6milguy View Post
Collectors who travel long distances prefer to take the time to examine the internal parts of rifles to determine their collectibility . This is beyond what is marked on the blue tag.
This is exactly my thoughts.