Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2020, 07:30 PM

Default Lefties rejoice!

Very happy to see the CMP allowing ambidextrous features on AR15s for the non-existent 2020 competition season.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2020, 04:20 AM

FWIW:
I'm a lefty and it's just as easy to use a "right-handed" AR as a left one.
In fact, seeing the into the ejection port on a "righty" makes things even easier.....
Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
FWIW:
I'm a lefty and it's just as easy to use a "right-handed" AR as a left one.
In fact, seeing the into the ejection port on a "righty" makes things even easier.....
The rifle is standard configuration is pretty easy on lefties but...

A high grip with the grip lines up the backside your first knuckle against a nerve and when pinched causes numbness in the trigger finger.

The magazine release will be nice because I will no longer have to dismount the rifle in the rapids before I drop the magazine. It also means that I could leave the rifle mounted while reloading. That is more time spent lining up sights, controlling the trigger etc.

So sure it's "just as easy" and I've adapted over the 13 Ive been competing. The question you should ask yourself is not whether it's good enough but whether you could do better.

Bill

Last edited by .22shooter; 04-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:24 PM

If it's better for you...… Rock on!
I've not had either problem at all (The nerve comment nor running out of time on a reload).
Those modifications are easy and you should make the transition well.
If you end up using the "BAD" bolt release they, sometimes, cause issues, so test it well before you trust it in a match.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
If it's better for you... Rock on!
I've not had either problem at all (The nerve comment nor running out of time on a reload).
Those modifications are easy and you should make the transition well.
If you end up using the "BAD" bolt release they, sometimes, cause issues, so test it well before you trust it in a match.
# 1 Bad levers are trash.
#2 I don't run out of time either but would love more time on the trigger and on the sights. If youre not doing either than you're wasting precious seconds.

Bill

Old 04-21-2020, 06:14 AM

Cool! Great!
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 AM

I think this is great. In my humble opinion, all service rifles should be designed to be used either right handed or left handed. AND shooters should be trained to shoot both ways.

I personally had to learn to do things in an ambidextrous manner when my right arm went into a cast at age 14. My uncle (a Korean War army veteran) encouraged me to learn to shoot both right handed and left handed. He told me that there would be times when one might have to switch from one to the other due to an injury or tactical situation.

Although I am primarily a right handed rifleman, I have a number of relatives who are/were left handed shooters, so I often hear of difficulties they had with certain firearms, and how they had to deal with them.

Knowing how to shoot "lefty" allowed me to shoot a 13 point buck that presented himself on the right side of my tree stand back in 2013. If I had moved around to shoot using a right handed hold, he would have disappeared. But by slowly shifting my muzzle loader and shooting left handed, I got him.

I think all rules of competition should allow either right or left handed shooting.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Navy:
".......I think all rules of competition should allow either right or left handed shooting......."

As a Lefty, I've never been forced to shoot either way by either the rules or anybody else.

With the exception of figuring out a slight technique in loading, the M1 Garand is easily ambidextrous as is.
The M14 is ambidextrous as is.
The M16 is (IMHO) ambidextrous as is too.

I've never felt slowed or at an disadvantage being a lefty shooting any of these rifles as is. So these, now allowed modifications are, for me, of no value.
The OP feels differently and posted such....... YMMV.

But in a general sense, this is another example of how the CMP (in trying to get more shooters involved) has ended the concept of a "Service Rifle" in competition.
The whole idea was to train civilians with the current service rifle of the day so if they entered or returned to Military Service they would be trained in that Rifle.
The M4/M16 has never had any of these modifications to "help" the few lefties in the ranks.
So we are moving away from the "Service Rifle" even more............. for what reason???

Last edited by Gewehr43; 05-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:52 PM

I think that the original poster was mainly pointing out that certain modifications could be made to service rifles (and service rifle clones allowed in competition), as long as the modifications were not permanent.

Specifically mentioned in recent rule changes are the use of ambidextrous safeties, magazine releases, and such. These make sense from a safety point of view - and hopefully will be taken into consideration when new service weapons are designed and accepted.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM

What's the point of training with something..... only to remove it or not have it when issued a Rifle when entering Military Service?

These changes aren't to assist with safety, there are no such records of that needing to occur.

The OP likes them in an effort to save time and some nerve issue.

I believe it is for same reason the CMP made massive changes to the Pistol and Rifle rules: to encourage more shooters to attend matches.
They realized, and stated, that participation is dropping and so think this will reverse that.

This isn't a safety issue.

PS: And IMHO the last 3 Service rifles were already ambidextrous, so the Designers are aware of that issue.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 05-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.