Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM

sorry no.
nobody really makes a wrench that works for it,,, yea, iv seen the ones on ebay… but they dont work very well.
the military used a large regular wrench, across the 2 flats of the receiver.. I knew that sooner or later I was going to break one. so I quit while I was ahead lol. that and the front sight is a big pain
Old 05-22-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Thanks, that's just the stuff I was looking for! And thanks to you other guys too. Chuck - do you have someone to recommend for installing Krag barrels?
The CMP offers Krag barrel changing services. I believe that the install the sights and blue the barrel. I have never had them do any work for me but I would think they are capable of the job
Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
sorry no.
nobody really makes a wrench that works for it,,, yea, iv seen the ones on ebay… but they dont work very well.
the military used a large regular wrench, across the 2 flats of the receiver.. I knew that sooner or later I was going to break one. so I quit while I was ahead lol. that and the front sight is a big pain
Is it the installing or removing part that causes worry for breaking receivers? I have two receivers that need barrels screwed in. I built both up from stripped actions.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM

no, its cracking or damaging the action...
these are case hardened just like a single heat treated 1903.
since nobody makes a wrench for them
you use a large cresent wrench across the flat side of the action. most come loose pretty easy, some are tight... all it takes is that one thats really tight.. and snap.. figured I stop before that happened.. the repro front sight base is a POS. the originals are very tough to get off, then dress and install on the new.
also.
the holes for the rear sight aren't the right thread pitch. {criterian knows about it} since there is 3 or 4 types of rear sights, all bets are off... I would say, good luck with the CMP custom shop as well. they contacted me a few months ago about doing some... I said no thanks
Old 05-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
no, its cracking or damaging the action...
these are case hardened just like a single heat treated 1903.
since nobody makes a wrench for them
you use a large cresent wrench across the flat side of the action. most come loose pretty easy, some are tight... all it takes is that one thats really tight.. and snap.. figured I stop before that happened.. the repro front sight base is a POS. the originals are very tough to get off, then dress and install on the new.
also.
the holes for the rear sight aren't the right thread pitch. {criterian knows about it} since there is 3 or 4 types of rear sights, all bets are off... I would say, good luck with the CMP custom shop as well. they contacted me a few months ago about doing some... I said no thanks
Thanks Chuck! For anyone who is interested I posted the same question over on the Krag Collectors forum and generated a fair amount of conversation:

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...num=1590074211
Old 05-24-2020, 04:52 PM

I have one for Krags that works great. I am work on making some more. Now that business are opening I will go back to the machine shop next week to pick up where I left off with them.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I have one for Krags that works great. I am work on making some more. Now that business are opening I will go back to the machine shop next week to pick up where I left off with them.
Cool. Do post pictures when you can.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:55 AM

+1
Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM

i reached out to the Krag group, when trying to figure out what the correct thread pitch was for the rear sight.. good group
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 PM

If you Google "Krag receiver wrench" mine is similar to the one with the two flats. The trick is the lug on the wrench that fits into the milled area under the Krag receiver.