Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 PM

Default Reloading pulled ammo

I prepared for the High Power season by reloading during the winter like everyone else. I never had a problem with my Dillon 550 powder dispenser so I weighed the first load and proceed from there. However, after loading about 300 rounds I weighed a load and found it off by .7 grain. I cleaned out the hopper and found two pieces of paper from the sealer on the keg. I measured samplings to find discrepancies of -.4 to +.7 grains. I've been pulling the bullets, dumping the powder, and reloading the cartridge.
I am wondering if the bullets will remain in the neck or will the recoil force them out or in. I was thinking of using them only for slow fire.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate hearing about your experiences in this matter.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

As long as you didn't pull them with a pair of pliers, they should be just fine.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 PM

Unless you damaged the bullets in some way, they are reusable.

I, personally, would neck size the cases before reloading to ensure neck tension is consistent.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 05-23-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
I, personally, would neck size the cases before reloading to ensure neck tension is consistent.

Second that.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:55 AM

I am puzzled as to how the paper could have caused heavier charges. Lighter yes, but heavier?? However; unless your loads exceed reasonable maximums, I suggest using them up at 1-200yds where the powder weight variations would not cause significant variation on targets. The necks may be OK after pulling bullets. You can tell from the resistance when you seat the bullet. Probably best to not use any questionable ammo in "important" matches. Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-23-2020, 05:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Sorry, I mis-read your question. I thought you were asking about the bullets, not the case necks. I would neck size the brass before reloading. If you use some mica on the necks, you can dispense with lube that must be removed. May not need any lube at all.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 AM

Thanks all. I should have mentioned I'm using 5.56 LC brass and removing the bullets with the Hornady collet puller. I examined each bullet and there is no deformation. The load is 23.7 grains of Winchester 748. I was going to use the ammo for practice only but decided to keep the rounds consistent. However, these rounds will be used for practice only.
Yes, I was surprised to see the paper too and can't figure out the inconsistency, but that was the only blockage and once removed the problem was solved.
Thanks again for the responses.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:37 PM

This is why I don't trust anything automatic or progressive. I'm very, very anal when it comes to my handloads. I like my single-stage press... it's all "hands on". I'm not even interested in an auto powder dispenser/scale.

Being a ball powder, WW748 should measure very uniformly.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 AM

It might be sacrilege, but you could always get a LEE Factory Crimp die and re-crimp each round after you reload it. They are relatively inexpensive and they work.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 AM

Thanks again for all the suggestions; I ordered a a Lee factory crimp die from Brownell's and will give it a try. It turns out I am not alone, many reloaders have problems with the Dillon powder bar. I found a lot of information on the Bullseye Forum "Dillon Powder Measure issue". I sent for the Photo Escape adjustment too; hope it is reliable.