Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Books are good to start with. Craig Riesch vol 7 at less then $20 is almost a must to own.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbines-Wart.../dp/1882391438

next up would be the War Baby: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-U-S-Cali.../dp/0889351171

I also "collected" one from each maker (I do not have an IP but my S'G' is my IP as IPs were never really made anyway.....at least that is my reason for not getting an IP...yet). While my carbines are not "collector" grade they are just fine for me.

Also this site itself is a good place to hang out, ask questions. We encourage you to do some of your own research as that is the best way to learn and not just depend on all answers to come from others, that is how they learned what they know. There are many pitfalls in the carbine world, many fake parts and those who want you to part with your money. First warning: Avoid Riverbank Armory, largest and most successful supplier of fake parts passed off as real.

Last edited by cali201; 01-11-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Don't get into restoring carbines. You will get burned on repros and will have to learn how not to restore as much as how to restore. All that time and effort and expense would be better spent looking for original examples that do not need restoring.

I have found a deep appreciation for mixmasters and shooters and rebuilds but whenever I have an itch to have a really historic carbine, I spend alot more for an original example that does not need restoring.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 01-11-2017 at 09:42 PM.