Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Good thread, thanks for the updates danduf98. Definitely moving it in the right direction. Best course of action is NOT to just close our ears and wait till the final version is passed, but to stay educated and communicate with both your senators and representatives as the need arises!
Old 09-17-2016, 09:56 AM

Default Don't hold your breath...

According to an article published in the Stars & Stripes, negotiations have broken down on the 2017 NDAA and, most likely, will not resume until after the November elections:

http://www.stripes.com/news/congress...udget-1.429405

Other outlets are also reporting similar comments by Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI), the ranking Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee (and one of the four key negotiators on the NDAA compromise bill):

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/29...-before-recess

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...ely-this-month

The other three key negotiators are:

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), Senate Armed Services Committee chair
Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-TX), House Armed Services Committee chair
Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA), House Armed Services Committee ranking member

A few things to note:

1. Current members of Congress (House and Senate) are itching to go home so they can campaign for reelection (current indicators are that Congress will adjourn around October 3rd);
2. A must-pass item (more important than the NDAA) is the funding bill needed to keep the government operating past September 30th - that will no doubt take priority before adjournment;
3. The NDAA usually does not become "must pass" until the end of the calendar year, because such things as the military personnel pay raise (which usually takes effect on January 1st) are part of it. However, certain other military benefits, such as enlistment and reenlistment bonuses, etc., usually expire when the current fiscal year runs out (September 30th) and must be renewed. These things (and some others as well) add pressure to the politicians to work out some sort of compromise.

And (for the purpose of discussing this subject in this forum) perhaps most importantly:

4. The debates over the NDAA center on the usual suspects - i.e., budget levels, Guantanamo, etc. The CMP-related issues aren't even being mentioned at all (at least in public), although (obviously) some sort of compromise will have to be worked out there as well, because the House and Senate versions are so different in this regard (i.e., the House wants to remove current limits on the M1911 pistol program, while the Senate wants to melt down and scrap surplus weapons other than M1 Garands and .22 rifles).

There is, of course, the danger that the CMP-related provisions, being relatively minor in the grand scheme of things on Capitol Hill, could either be removed altogether (from both bills, thus no action taking place) or could be viewed by either side as negotiating tactics in order to get the "more important" policy issues passed.

Just my opinion, but I think the matter is now dead until after November 8th.

Last edited by The Garandster; 09-18-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Clarified details/status of negotiators.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Overheard at the NS on Friday, "If it happens........there will be PLENTY of time to save your money to purchase".
Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 PM

you can probably search this here but at the 2015(or 2016) Shot Show Mark gave an interview that prices would start at around $1000...
Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM

I just received this e-mail from the Sportsman Club my wife and I belong to.

Quote:
The legislation has passed for CMP to sell the surplus Army 1911's, however, it is apparently up to the Secretary of the Army to release the pistols limiting the CMP to receive only up to 10,000 pistols a year. At this time, there apparently is no guarantee how many pistols a year will be released.

You have to be a member of a CMP affiliated club along with other requirements to purchase any firearm from the CMP. Check with the CMP website, https://thecmp.org/ for any updated information and current eligibility requirements.
Is this true or are they confused?

GuapoPogi
Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
I just received this e-mail from the Sportsman Club my wife and I belong to.

Is this true or are they confused?

GuapoPogi
Maybe you should read that CMP link that is given as well as all the previous posts in this thread.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Maybe you should read that CMP link that is given as well as all the previous posts in this thread.
Maybe I have read all the previous posts and was wondering if this e-mail I received 20 minutes ago was from someone with new information. Maybe the link is for the CMP home page which has no information. Maybe you should have not replied to my question since you had nothing relevant to say. Wait, that would be already did, already did and you shouldn't have. Thanks for playing though.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Maybe the link is for the CMP home page which has no information.

GuapoPogi
No reason to get snarky, but your wrong

From the CMPs front page:

"11/30/15 An update on the 1911’s…

The NDAA 2016 has been signed into law, and we have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s at this time.

Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

So maybe you should brush up your reading comprehension before berating someone

Last edited by dnmccoy; 10-13-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM

I'll play along for a few minutes. I have never understood the supposed limitation of 10K units per year. When this thing first came up, it was ALL predicated on the premise of getting the government out of having to pay "storage costs" for these handguns. So it leaves me scratching my head why "the government" would impose an arbitrary limit to transfer each year when the whole objective was to get the government OUT of the storage business! Yeah, yeah.... I know I'm trying to apply logic to a government operation.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
No reason to get snarky.
So maybe you should brush up your reading comprehension before berating someone
I was looking to find out if there was new information that maybe was not yet listed on the site and after a second look at the home page I still saw no mention of 1911's. In all likelihood the person from my AGC was mistaken but how would I find out? Yes by asking the CMP... you know, the organization that would have the answer. I welcome all constructive replies to my question but flip waste of my time answers will be responded to in kind. As for reading comprehension, did he answer my question? No. From his comment I would I would discern that he either did not comprehend my question or more likely just wanted to troll a bit with his "snarky" comment. Then by your reply I would also discern that you did not comprehend my question or his reply. Perhaps we should let the CMP answer my question and if they don't I will assume that that management of my AGC is confused and that the e-mail they sent out to hundreds of members today is incorrect.

GuapoPogi
Closed Thread