Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Default CMP 1903 Purchase

I picked up this 1903 at South Store on Sept 20. Not fond of the varnish but otherwise I think it's a nice rifle. The only stamp on the wood is a S in the cutout. Cav_Cdr found a 03 in his SRS book that is within three digits of this one. He said this rifle is within a large block of Marine serial numbers. I don't know much about 03's so any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:01 PM

Great looking rifle.

Its a six digit. I don’t know the exact details, but something about the heat treating of the receiver can make it dangerous if you fire non milsurp ammo out of it. Anyone else with better poop?
Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper36a View Post
Great looking rifle.

Its a six digit. I don’t know the exact details, but something about the heat treating of the receiver can make it dangerous if you fire non milsurp ammo out of it. Anyone else with better poop?
On the back of the hangtag CMP made a note that it's a high number so I don't think the rifle falls in that category.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=81770
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Hopefully JB, aka John Beard, will see your OP. He will be able to answer your questions about your 1903.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 PM

The receiver is earlier than mine by about a hundred thousand pieces...but the barrel is later by almost a year.

I think yours may have been rebarreled right after the great war...and then suffered another rebuild since.

Either way...I'd shoot the molasses out of that thing!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Thanks for your patronage!

Your rifle was inspected by CMP armorer #11. I note that your rifle is fitted with a scant stock. The "S" in the cutoff recess may be spurious. The Avis barrel was made by a WWI spare parts contractor and 2-19 is a very late date for those barrels. Your rifle was arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts during the WWII period. Your rifle does not exhibit any significant features of USMC issuance. So your rifle is not likely a USMC rifle.

Thanks again for your patronage!

J.B.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
I note that your rifle is fitted with a scant stock. The "S" in the cutoff recess may be spurious.
I have a scant stock with a S in the cutoff recess; always thought it indicated SA manufacture. Also, that is an odd looking stock crossbolt.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Thanks for your patronage!

Your rifle was inspected by CMP armorer #11. I note that your rifle is fitted with a scant stock. The "S" in the cutoff recess may be spurious. The Avis barrel was made by a WWI spare parts contractor and 2-19 is a very late date for those barrels. Your rifle was arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts during the WWII period. Your rifle does not exhibit any significant features of USMC issuance. So your rifle is not likely a USMC rifle.

Thanks again for your patronage!

J.B.
Thanks JB. It sounds like the rifle would be an excellent candidate for some quality range time.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have a scant stock with a S in the cutoff recess; always thought it indicated SA manufacture. Also, that is an odd looking stock crossbolt.

SA did indeed make scant stocks. And their scant stocks are indeed marked with an "S" in the cutoff recess. But I am skeptical SA made that scant stock. Since the rifle came from the CMP with the "S" in the cutoff recess, the marking may not be spurious. But it may not signify SA either.

J.B.