Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 AM

Default M1903...a few more questions

Hi all,

I posted a question about the stock and the cartouche on this rifle in another thread, but I’ve pulled this one back out of the safe and found a few more questions.

The handguard drawing number, D28179 - many pictures I’ve seen show it behind the rear barrel band, but mine is stamped ahead of the rear band. Is that a recognized variant?

Also, skulking about in the darker corners of the interwebs, notes that some folks would alter serials by adding a 1 to a low number receiver, magically transforming it to a high number. This one’s serial seems a bit offset from the lettering on the receiver, but I have seen photos of similar which are accepted as authentic.

Happy to get any and all opinions and knowledge about this gun, on any topics not just those above, and can post more photos as needed.

(If you were wondering, this post was inspired by a Gunbroker auction of a similar rifle. That one is probably a touch nicer than mine, but I’ve been following with interest to see what kind of price it’s going to go for.)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Highly doubt the number was added. As the "1" took up less "area" on the steel when it was punched, a lot of them look "deeper".
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Tough call for me . . . .
Place thumb over the first “1” . . .
Notice how the remaining numbers are CENTERED under “Model 1903.” (include the period after “1903.”)
I’m sure JB will weigh in on this . . . .
Old 10-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Answers/comments are as follows:

(1) Yes. The handguard is an early one with a hand-stamped drawing number before the marking die arrived.

(2) The serial number appears authentic, especially if the receiver has a Hatcher Hole. If you want to remove all doubt, remove the stock and post a picture of the receiver bottom behind the recoil lug.

(3) I'm watching the gunbroker rifle also. I hope it fetches "a pretty penny," (but it's not my rifle).

J.B.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Does have a Hatcher hole. I will take it down when I get a chance in the next few days or so and get the relevant photos.

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 PM

OK, let me know if I'm taking photos of the correct spot:

Couple of extra markings:

Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 PM

You photographed the correct spot. Your rifle's serial number is unquestionably authentic. What is your rifle's barrel date? And are there any other markings on your barrel such as a steel lot code? Please advise.

Thanks!

J.B;.

Last edited by John Beard; 10-09-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:42 PM

It's SA 12-36:

I also found this partial mark on the barrel after a closer look:

Incidentally, the discussion of the 'other' SA/SPG 1.5 mil 1903 may have cleared up the mystery of some ghost cartouches on this one's stock. It has two proof marks, and I think perhaps the faintest residua of a JFC or some such cartouche - I couldn't figure out why, but given the re-purposing of materials as older rifles were removed from service, that might be my clue.

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 10-09-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 PM

Got it!

Thanks!

J.B.