Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2019, 11:04 PM

I have rebarreled a number of M1917 rifles. The only GI barrels I have used were JA WW2 replacement barrels. The Criterion barrels I have used were excellent with correct draw, witness marks that are properly located, and had very short headspace. It is good to have a sharp reamer! I have gotten excellent M1917s from CMP years ago that had really bad bores. I feel that these came from VFWs or American Legion posts. My post in Kansas had some excellent,originlal M1917s with horrible bores. Firing blanks without cleaning will do that. I have never found any WW1,original barrels as replacements.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Put a round or two through it.

A lot of these rifles have been fired with blanks with a ton of crap in the barrel. It's amazing what the first bullets through a barrel in 40 years will do to loosen the crap.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 AM

I got an Eddystone just like yours from CMP many years ago and the barrel was so bad you could barely see daylight through it. It sat dismantled in a corner in my shop for several years until I decided to have it fixed so I could shoot it. I sent it to CMP custom shop and they rebarreled it and went through it to make sure it was good. Now it is a very good shooter, one of my favorites. If you don't mine a little wait time, send it to CMP and let them fix it up for you. You won't regret it.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Did you try carberator or brake cleaner?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Just a few different foaming cleaners after the Hoppeís didnít do the job.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:07 PM

I tried just about every cleaner known, and none had any effect. I started out with Hoppes and a bronze brush and after half a dozen brushes and a lot of bore solvent, nothing. I then tried a stainless steel brush and the bore just chewed up that brush. I tried all the one other usual solvents like carburetor cleaner and none would get it out. I tried soaking it with oven cleaner and no go. The last method I tried was boiling caustic that I got from a friend who did engine rebuilding and uses that stuff to boil out engine blocks, and nothing. Just saying that sometimes that buildup of carbon becomes like carbide and nothing short of re-cutting the rifling will get it. I have had luck with some so don't missunderstand me, sometimes you can have some success, but there are those really stubborn ones that just have to be replaced.
I finally sent it to the CMP custom shop and got it replaced. I should have done it right away. I had a couple of 03A3s that were like that as well and I just changed the barrels rather than fight it. But I have had a couple of others that cleaned up rather nicely. You can tell pretty quickly if it will clean out or not. From what you describe, it sounds like a new barrel is in your rifle's future. Good luck, and have a nice weekend. We finally got some relief from that wretched heat.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Good luck, and have a nice weekend. We finally got some relief from that wretched heat.
Indeed--fall arrived today! Even better shooting weather.

Looks like I'll be re-barreling.

Thanks to all for the insights.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

If I could tag onto this topic. I just bought a Remington 1917 from the CMP that I have pretty much decided to rebarrel. My question is can you drop off rifles to worked on at shop if within driving distance or does everything need to be shipped to them? I have no experience shipping firearms and would like to avoid the hassle of that if possible. Thank for any insight.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

I made arrangements with the custom shop via email to drop off a rifle.
Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I made arrangements with the custom shop via email to drop off a rifle.
Good deal. Thanks for info casper. Plus, itíll be a good reason to go by the range, which is always a good thing.