Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM

Default Eddystone M1917 - request opinions & advice on stock

Greetings all,

An M1917 came my way via Gunbroker (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811160046) and I had a bit of an unpleasant surprise when looking it over:

Caveat emptor and all that, and who knows if it was damaged in transit, although I find it interesting that the ad photos assiduously avoided that part of the stock......

Now, from a collecting standpoint I don't anticipate doing much in the way of altering/repairing the stock, since it otherwise looks like a pretty nice, dare I say original finish Eddystone:

There are a couple more faint/partial eagle head cartouches elsewhere as well, and I don't see any re-arsenal markings.

Continued in next post for more images...

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 05-24-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 PM

Everything I can see from the outside that is marked has an E on it, although I can't find any markings on some stuff (swivels, barrel band, buttpad). Eventually will have to break it down a bit more to see the stuff inside, but that'll come later.

The bore gauges a hair over 2 with what looks like some strong rifling...I haven't cleaned it up yet.

So how badly did I mess up on this one? Would I be entirely mad to ever try to shoot it, or should I expect the stock to split in two if I did? What sort of stress is this part of the stock subject to when firing? (Thanks for letting me ask some novice questions.)

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 05-24-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 PM

I think someone here can tell you how to fix that. It looks like it could have happened in transit.

I just posted in another thread my album of a completely original Eddy, here's the post for your reference: http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...39&postcount=6
Old 05-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Banned

I doubt transit.

Weak spot in wood cracked long ago and if they did not show that area.

It should be fixable. Not my thing though.

I don't think it takes a lot away as the condition is really good.

This is just an opinion and not a suggestion to shoot it.

The forces on the stock are in the receiver ares and recoil lug, guard screws (that is why cross pins in that area. )

I think the front stock stuff was just carry over tradition, no reason you could not cut back like a more modern rifle.

Unless its repaired, firing will crack it more.

Someone is making replacement stock so you could do that while you work on it.

Its worth doing so as it looks un-issued .

Last edited by RC20; 05-24-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:00 PM

Here's the link for the thread on the new manufacturer m1917 stock.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=M1917

I think that stock can be fixed as well ��
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Contact RickB. He is the stock doctor! Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:50 AM

not a high stress area, eminently repairable, looks like a nice rifle
Old 05-26-2019, 05:49 PM

Well, this purchase is kind of going south. Hopefully not excessively, but...got the rifle stripped down and surprise, no magazine box.

Caveat emptor strikes again...

Will try to get some internal photos posted a bit later.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Very nice rifle. Very restorable. Take your time, do your research. Don’t get in a hurry. Time is totally on your side. I see many positive things in your purchase.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 PM

OK, a few more photos and info.

The crack:

The crack kind of disappears on the inside as it goes lower on the stock, and the end of the crack on the bottom of the stock is right outside a portion of the stock that has not been inletted:

So the good news is I don't think this is going to fly apart on me any time soon. I think I'll start by trying to get some glue into the inner portion of the stock where I can access the crack, and see if that will stabilize it.

Another slight disappointment upon swabbing out the bore...this was described as "No rust or pitting in barrel."

Having said that, while it's certainly not a mirror, it's not terribly dark either, and the rifling seems decently strong. I reckon the proof will be in the pudding if/when I get it into firing condition.

Otherwise, the trigger guard ended up being a Winchester, and the follower is Remington. The buttplate and door are entirely unmarked, as is the rear barrel band and sling swivel.

Starting to wonder if I got taken to the tune of $50-100 or so...oh well. Live and learn. Hopefully I can get this one fixed up ok.

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 05-26-2019 at 09:10 PM.