Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Default M1917 Enfield Duplicate Serial Numbers

Hello all,

In my research I have found that all three manufacturers of M1917 Enfields (Eddystone, Remington, and Winchester) all started at "1" and ran to "1,355,000", "646,000", and "585,000" respectively.

Forum user rob30-06 has a fantastic list of duplicate M1 Garand serial numbers sent to him by forum members so I figured we could start a similar list for M1917 Enfields. Let me know what y'all think and I can get started on a list.

- Kiowa1-1
Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 PM

I find this interesting. I like the other lists to see if anyone has a rifles near mine.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:44 PM

great idea. How do you want us to submit SNs?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM

I’ll play. Sounds interesting
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM

I agree. Always interested in seeing more data to help with our collecting.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Hey everyone! Sorry I just graduated from college this last week and didn't get a chance to see your replies. I'm thinking I'm going to make a thread in "CMP Bolt Action Rifles". If you guys will send me your serial numbers via the messaging in this forum then I can create a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would likely look like this for example:

Manufacturer.......................Serial Number..............................Owner...................................Condition
..........WRA.................................12,3 45...................John Name (Forum Member).....................Sporterized
...........RA...................................56 ,789....................Jack Name (Forum Member).......................Military
..........EDS................................1,000 ,091.................Jim Name (Forum Member)..............Irreparably Sporterized

Wherein the three manufacturers of M1917s are represented as:
WRA = Winchester Repeating Arms
RA = Remington Arms
EDS = Eddystone (the subsidiary/subcontractor of Remington)

And wherein:
- "Sportized" = Capable of being restored to original military condition (i.e. rear sight protectors still intact, rifle is still in original caliber, receiver hasn't been drilled and tapped for a scope).
- "Military" = Rifle is in original military configuration (i.e. full length stock, full length barrel, original caliber, sights still intact, rifle may have been restored either by the military or by civilians to its original configuration but not necessarily with original parts - it looks the part).
- "Irreparably Sporterized" = Rifle has been irreparably changed to become a hunting rifle or for some other use (i.e. receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope, the receiver has been changed to a different caliber, the rear sight protectors have been ground down/off and the rifle cannot be restored to a likeness of its' original configuration).

Last edited by Kiowa1-1; 05-16-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 PM

If you would prefer I can also withhold the username and just put "Forum Member"
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Is there any other information that would be worthwhile grabbing (like barrel date), while you are making a database?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 PM

I'll likely just keep it to the serial numbers to see if any duplicate serial numbers are out there. I'm posting this same thing in the "CMP Bolt Action" sub-forum so please head over there and send me your numbers as soon as y'all can so we can get some activity!

Last edited by Kiowa1-1; 05-21-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Tags
duplicate serial number, m1917, p17