Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Default M1917 loose front sight base

M1917 loose front sight base -

I just aquired a nice M1917 from a fellow CMP forum member. The receiver is Eddystone, barrel is marked 'W' with 12-17 & flaming bomb, and all surfaces have an even parked finish.

I really like the rifle, and want to shoot it; however, the the front sight base is loose - I can rock it left or right about 1mm using only light finger pressure. When I do this, I can also see the front sight base 'key' moving as well. I drove the pin out & it looks like the front sight base pin is making contact with the key.

I don't consider myself a gunsmith, but I have peened the splines on an M1 Garand barrel before. Is there an easy, effective way to correct this myself, or do I need to think about replacing parts or even sending it to someone to be worked on?

I would appreciate your help!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 PM

The "barrel notch" on my winny barrel is appx .125 inches wide. Your key should be a press fit inside the notch. Measure it and see what is out of spec, either the key is too small or the barrel notch or the sight notch is too large. Replace as needed. You could shim the sight notch (or the barrel notch) on one side or the other to center the sight better. So you could have a "good problem".
Rick
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM

The parts for 17s are inexpensive and readily available from SSporters, SARCO and Numrich. I would clean the parts you have, peen the key and use a small amount of JB Weld if necessary, for a quick fix. Good Shooting.......
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Just a quick update - I ordered a barrel stub from Springfield Sporters. The new parts are much tighter fitting on the barrel, and there is no play at all now.

Thank you to everyone that posted & PMed!

Tags
base, key, loose, m1917, sight