Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 PM

Default 1917 Interest Question

Hey guys,

I've recently started working with an 07 FFL and am getting my own license as well. I'm building a run of a couple dozen Ljungman clones and then a few dozen BM59s and BM59Es, but those are the subject of other threads! I have access to M1917 actions and was wondering if people would be interested if I built some of these into complete rifles.

The idea would be to use new reproduction stocks made from figured woods and new production barrels. I was thinking it might even be an option to barrel in one of the 6.5 calibers such as 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem or even 6.5 Creedmoor. This thought came about because I've had a lot of interest in a 260 Rem Garand barrel that I'm also planning to offer.

I think the price point would be around $800 for the 1917s.

Any input would be appreciated!

Best,

Steve
Old 04-05-2018, 06:11 AM

I'd be in for a 6.5 swede bbl for a garand.
would suggest swede chambers be of the 6.5x55 "American", which has the std brass base that all us companies use (.473).
might also go for .260 rem as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 AM

Default 1917 Interest Question

I donít have the funds at the moment but eventually I want a 1917 to fill out my ever expanding collection.

30-06 for me

Last edited by Quarterbore; 04-05-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroads View Post
I'd be in for a 6.5 swede bbl for a garand.
would suggest swede chambers be of the 6.5x55 "American", which has the std brass base that all us companies use (.473).
might also go for .260 rem as well.
I hear you on the 6.5x55. I really want to use that caliber myself. I’ll start a new thread on that project in the Garand forum.

Best,

Steve

EDIT: I just realized that this is not the right forum to post this question in. How do I ask the mods to move it to the "Ask each other" forum? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 PM

I would love a "new" 1917. Count me in! Maybe even for 2!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf113 View Post
I would love a "new" 1917. Count me in! Maybe even for 2!
Good to hear!

What would be your caliber of choice?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-05-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Good to hear!

What would be your caliber of choice?

Thanks,

Steve
Right now normal old 30-06. I wouldnt be opposed to 308. Saddly I dont own any 6.5sweed. ):
Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Default How about a M1 Carbine make over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

I've recently started working with an 07 FFL and am getting my own license as well. I'm building a run of a couple dozen Ljungman clones and then a few dozen BM59s and BM59Es, but those are the subject of other threads! I have access to M1917 actions and was wondering if people would be interested if I built some of these into complete rifles.

The idea would be to use new reproduction stocks made from figured woods and new production barrels. I was thinking it might even be an option to barrel in one of the 6.5 calibers such as 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem or even 6.5 Creedmoor. This thought came about because I've had a lot of interest in a 260 Rem Garand barrel that I'm also planning to offer.

I think the price point would be around $800 for the 1917s.

Any input would be appreciated!

Best,

Steve
Good afternoon Steve - S11033,

It is exciting to read your out-of-the-box way of thinking and efforts in serving us as enthusiasts. I read your other posts of a new M1 Garand rebuild proposal.

I have been yearning for one of those CMP M1 Carbines since the big release not that long ago from CMP. There was a hand full of Members that highlighted receiving new wood / re-park of the metal, new barrel as I recall -- they all seemed to love the look and I never saw anyone trading even though it was mentioned by Others. One common problem was however loose upper wood hand guards.

I realize this goes totally against the Collectors which I fully respect, but I am also one of those that Competes... so I hope in sharing it is just a talking point for your reply. Would it be possible to find all that it would take to make up a M1 Carbine, even in a different caliber such as one of those you mentioned. I realize finding USGI M1 Carbine Receiver(s) may be a stretch, but the remakes just don't have the genuine look. Certainly there is the possible issue of an atypical case length for a M1 Carbine, but how cool and ammo cost effective would it be to get it in either a .223 or a .30-06 caliber. Yes, I realize the .30-06 caliber ammo might be an issue so scratch that as the action is not long enough. My thought is that would allow me and others to not have to deal with yet another hard to find ammo being the .30 caliber. I also realize there is the 9mm Luger versions - your thoughts and those of others are welcome.

Finally, with mention from above I realize there is a number of companies that have done a make over of a M1 Carbine, but they just are not the same. I personally like the look of the metal upper Barrel shield as an option to the wood hand guard which would solve the loose upper wood hand guard reported by each of those that choose to share. Just so I don't offend any purest, please know all of our families Military Collection, as small as it may be, is as issued without modifications. Thank you once again for your efforts. It has been great to make your acquaintance. A P/M would be great!

Sincerely, JL

Last edited by Dancing2as1; 04-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM

I'm all for a different caliber M1917. Already have one in 30.06, but one in a 6.5 caliber would be one I'd buy.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing2as1 View Post
Good afternoon Steve - S11033,

It is exciting to read your out-of-the-box way of efforts. I read your other posts of a new M1 Garand rebuild proposal.

I for myself have been wanting one of those CMP M1 Carbines since the big release not that long ago from CMP. There was a hand full of Members that highlighted receiving new wood / re-park and those that shared seems to love the look. One common problem was loose upper wood hand guards.

I realize this goes totally against the Collectors which I fully respect, but I am also one of those that competes... so I hope in sharing it is just a thought for your reply. Would it be possible to find all that it would take to make up a M1 Carbine, even in a different caliber such as one of those you mentioned. I realize M1 Carbine Receiver may be a stretch an atypical case length for a M1 Carbine, but how cool to get it in either a .223 or a .30-06 caliber. My thought is that would allow me and others to not have to deal with yet another hard to find ammo.

I certainly realize there is a number of companies that have done a make over of a M1 Carbine, but they just are not the same. I personally like the look of the metal upper Barrel shield as an option to the wood hand guard which would solve the loose wood hand guard reported by each of those that posts as received from the CMP release. Just so I don't offend any purest, please know all of our famiies Military Collection, as small as it may be, is as issued without modifications. Thank you once again for your efforts. A P/M would be great!

Sincerely, JL
Hi JL,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually given some thought to what can be done with the .30 Carbine because there are a fair number of commercial receivers out there that one could play with and not feel bad about. My basic conclusion has been that you can't really do much with the M1 Carbine that hasn't already been done, and much more elegantly, with the Ruger Mini 14.

The main challenge in terms of caliber conversions for the M1 Carbine is that the .30 carbine cartridge is very short unique. As a result, it's very difficult to adapt the action and mags to any other caliber. I think the 5.7 Johnson cartridge takes the Carbine just about as far as it can go in terms of caliber modernization. Maybe it would be possible to convert them to 5.7 FN, but the base and rim diameter are much smaller than the .30 Carb, so some serious work would have to be done on the extractor and possibly the bolt and mag.

I think I'm going to pick the "low-hanging fruit" options first. There are lots of guys with Garand that have poor barrels or stripped receivers. There are stripped 1917 actions that I can buy fairly inexpensively. There just aren't that many .30 Carbines that are in need of a serious overhaul.

I'll definitely post if I venture into those waters, but I'd recommend that you consider a Mini 14. I love mine and take it out to the range every time I feel the urge to build a Carbine in 5.7 Johnson.

Best,

Steve

Tags
6.5, m1917