Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Default South Store Report 9-19-2012

Store hasn't changed much since lennnorment posted for Saturday morning. Probably 10 of us in line. Leon let us in at 0745 hours. There was a first time buyer, got him hooked up with Leon. Again, the attention was on the service grade Springfields. There is 1/2 of a rack of them, 2 high, against the wall. There was another 1/2 rack on the floor just in front of them. None that I could tell had USGI wood except one in birch. Lots with NM parts and barrels, but still just one or two to a rifle. I found none to my liking, but many were taken to the counter for purchase.

I then went through the field grades. One whole row and then 2/3rd of another row. Lots of GI wood and some with good ME and TE. I seen a lot of 6 digit, and I'm talking ones starting with 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 or 9. ME and TE on average was 2 and 4/5 as far as was on the tags. But if you measured, (I have a stone ax gauge) seem to be a little better. A few were 1 ME and 3/4 TE.

No HRA service grades, and I didn't look at the field grades. I had to leave and get back for work, so I didn't look at anything else in the store.

eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 09-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 AM

It says a lot if they are breaking down NM rifles for parts. They must not have been selling.

The eventuality will be something akin to the Service Grade Special. New barrel, re-parked assembly and new stocks. Gotta keep the old girls looking sharp.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems strange that there are NO USGI stocks on SA service grades. I know that SG condition and features run in streaks (e.g. NM parts), but the total lack of current GI wood is confusing.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the great report eaglekeeper. I would be disappointed to see new wood on all the service grades. Maybe the selection is worse around the end of the year because they are holding things back for next year.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Freeman View Post
Thanks for the great report eaglekeeper. I would be disappointed to see new wood on all the service grades. Maybe the selection is worse around the end of the year because they are holding things back for next year.
I think the wood has to do with the national match parts rifles. I think the GI wood or I hope will come back some once NM parts rifles clear out some. There was some pretty good wood and hand guards on the SA field grades. But I didn't have time to go through them in depth.

eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 09-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Default NM Rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
It says a lot if they are breaking down NM rifles for parts. They must not have been selling.

The eventuality will be something akin to the Service Grade Special. New barrel, re-parked assembly and new stocks. Gotta keep the old girls looking sharp.
I agree Tim, they never looked good to me on the wall when they had them for the price listed. Always looked beat up. Then you had the correct rifles to the left looking very nice for less the cost.

eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 09-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Orest posted at least two year ago that they were having problems with finding good wood for the corrects and service grade rifles.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM

They figure the NM parts are a strong enough selling point to get folks to purchase them. I'll never buy an M1 with aftermarket wood. Just lacks nostalgic feel for me. Doesn't bother me...lack of USGI wood only increases the value of my gorgeous USGI stocked stash of rifles. I know Tim and Eaglekeeper appreaciate USGI walnut.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Seems to say if you've got the time and you want USGI wood, the time might be better spent culling through the FG's. Not unlike a couple years back.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM

I look at it this way, Do you want a goodlooking girl to have a new dress or not. in the end, it doesn't matter how does it shoot.