X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carbinekid
    • Oct 2009

Unissued GHS Stock

Well I found a stock I never thought I’d turn up in this condition. It’s got all the traits to be an early GHS stock. Long channel, scooped clip latch, “36” marked barrel channel, equal sized buttplate screw holes, “cccc” marking above the top buttplate screw, and the U shaped trigger guard relief.

Evidently this one was never used on a production rifle as it does not have a firing proof or acceptance cartouche. It strikes me as a replacement stock to be used for a rebuild. Not shown in the photos because I removed it, but it had a no hole, punch marked stamped ferrule installed. Unfortunately missing the swivel and screw.

Interestingly, I have found 4-5 like this over the years that were totally unissued with ferrule installed. Those previous stocks were always later Springfield production with all the traits of a later GAW/NFR and others were clearly postwar production. Looks like they kept the same production methods over the years. I wonder why they bothered installing the ferrules, but not the buttplates?

The only down side to this stock is a dark patch on the right side of the butt that seems to be from water damage? Not sure how to get that lightened up. Anyone have thoughts on that?

https://imgur.com/a/oSgm8xf
  • FRODAWWG
    • Oct 2009

Nice stock,

Wood bleach with oxalic acid may lighten up the dark patch to match the rest of the wood. I've had success with it in the past for similar stock stains.
    Last edited by FRODAWWG; 01-20-2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Quarterbore
      • Mar 2018

I would try Turpentine first. Turpentine will clean it at a slower pace and it will not bleach out the natural color. Just try to work on the stained area and leave the rest alone until done then you can blend it.

Comment

• Sam Hamburger
        • Mar 2016

I think Quarterbore is on the right track. It may not be a water stain. I would try different solvents. The last being acetone or MEK. Small amounts then rubbed dry. If this is not successful, then try some oxalic acid.

Comment

• carbinekid
          • Oct 2009

I messed around with it last night and and I did get it to lighten a bit. I also decided that I don’t want to get too carried away. I’m just going to go with BLO and see how it turns out. I suspect it will look fine and the dark spot is just part of its 80 year history.

Comment

• Sam Hamburger
            • Mar 2016

Boiled linseed oil (BLO) is not boiled. It is linseed oil that contains dryers. It was made for mixing with some oil based paints to promote drying. Once you apply any finish that the wood absorbs it will darken the stain and make restoration much harder.

Just a WAG, brake cleaner may work. Way, way back I used 111 tri-chloro until it was banned. There is another product that I never needed to use that was made to soak up oil that had contaminated a clutch disc. Mothers Earth may still be available.

Comment

• lapriester
              • Oct 2009

Since it has no markings at all just throw it in the dishwasher with half the normal washing liquid and some bleach. Wash it with normal hot temp and no heat drying. Remove immediately after washing is completed and allow to air dry for 3-4 days in a warm room. You could soak it in Acetone, Denatered alcohol or paint thinner for a week and it's doubtfull the dark stain will improve.

Note, I have done a multitude of grease, oil, stain and otherwise damaged or just plain ugly, dented stocks using the above method. I've yet to damage one yet. The people who cring about it have never tried it.
              Last edited by lapriester; 01-21-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Sam Hamburger
                • Mar 2016

The next dirty stock will get the dishwasher treatment. If I get caught by SWMBO I will plead “Not Guilty”. I’ll just say someone recommended this treatment.

Comment

• Stevel48
                  • Jan 2018

Here's a trick that works for oil stains. Put a good layer of baby power on the stain and leave it for 2 days. The powder will draw out oils.

Comment

• lapriester
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Sam Hamburger View Post
                    The next dirty stock will get the dishwasher treatment. If I get caught by SWMBO I will plead “Not Guilty”. I’ll just say someone recommended this treatment.
                    +1. I never do it when she's home and always run another heated full cycle, well soaped afterward. Plus, running some LemiShine in that cleaning wash does wonders. DO NOT decide to run a front handguard unless you place something heavy on it during drying. Unless the grain is perfectly straight it will often twist while drying. The rear must be wedged or you just leave the spacer in it. If you don't it will often close like a clamshell as it dries.

If you get caught just plead no contest and blame me.

Comment

• Herrmann
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                      Since it has no markings at all just throw it in the dishwasher with half the normal washing liquid and some bleach. Wash it with normal hot temp and no heat drying. Remove immediately after washing is completed and allow to air dry for 3-4 days in a warm room. You could soak it in Acetone, Denatered alcohol or paint thinner for a week and it's doubtfull the dark stain will improve.

Note, I have done a multitude of grease, oil, stain and otherwise damaged or just plain ugly, dented stocks using the above method. I've yet to damage one yet. The people who cring about it have never tried it.
                      DITTO! I have done many and it is a miracle! Also takes out dents!

(Wish I could fit my wife's car in there too!). (Not to mention her garage door!)

Comment

Working...
                      X