Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Question on Early Commercial Carbines, IJ, Plainfield , Universal etc..

I've noticed recently a couple of threads discussing commercial M1 Carbines. While sitting around today following a medical "procedure", I'm under "house arrest" for a couple days, I dug out an old 1981 Shotgun News, always fun to look back. There were multiple advertisers offering Universal, Iver Johnson and Plainfield M1 Carbines. When I was in high school in the early 80's I wanted one of these in the worst way but it never happened. I did convince my mom to buy me a Marlin Model 60 .22 which I shot the heck out of. Returned from FT. Benning in the fall of 1986 and for the first time my LGS had a couple racks of the import stamped M1 Carbines, bought a heavily re-parked STD PRO in a beat up M2 stock, loved it and shot the heck out of that one before selling it years later to upgrade to a much nicer UEF.

Okay enough of that, my question since I never ended up buying any of those early commercial carbines, of the IJ, Universal, Plainfield and Alpine, which were considered the better of these?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:34 PM

In the early 80’s I purchased an Iver Johnson M1 carbine. Functioned fine and I only recently sold it to my brother since I have acquired USGI examples!!
Old 11-24-2020, 04:38 PM

I have shot all of those and the Plainfield would get my vote. But none of them should be shot until checked out for OBF.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 PM

I would give a slight advantage to an early generation 1 Universal only because they used forged steel receivers. When I say early, I mean below SN: 15,000.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:37 AM

Can't answer which is better, but I have a 1960's Plainfield that gladly accepts USGI parts, is actually very accurate and runs like a Swiss watch with any ammo. AAA highly figured wood too (for some reason...maybe an early one). If you can get past the metal handguard, they're pretty cool.

Last edited by 218bee; 11-25-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Thumbs up for Plainfield M1 carbines

I have owned four Plainfields and still have two. All have functioned great. My first one had the handguard and stock replaced with USGI wood. Get one and bang away.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:02 AM

I have a Plainfield Paratrooper model. Never misses a beat. I put it in a GI stock for comfort, but the paratrooper stock is cool when I'm in the mood. I also have an Inland, which also never misses a beat.

Last edited by hooknladder; 11-26-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:25 AM

I loved my Alpine and regret selling it. It out shot any of the USGI carbines I've had. I may just look for another once the panic buying subsides.

Bill
Old 11-26-2020, 08:42 AM

The single-most thing that ever turned me against commercial carbines was the method of gas-block attachment. When I first started my interest in carbines, I begin to read about gas-blocks being dislodged and you can still find reports of it’s continuance to this day. Cast receivers made to USGI specifications are likely never going to give the average shooter a problem in their lifetime. Cast receivers in current production carbines have shown to be problematic, but the early guns not so much and all that I know about were GI part compatible. I shy-away from any of the commercial manufactures that continued to produce carbines into the mid-80’s. They were struggling to stay alive and turned out plenty of junk before the end came. When evaluating a commercial carbine, consideration has to be given to the day it was born. An early Iver Johnson might be a very good carbine, but you are just taking a chance on an Iver Johnson manufactured in the latter days with IJ, Plainfield and Universal left-over components which were not always compatible.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309Carbine View Post
I would give a slight advantage to an early generation 1 Universal only because they used forged steel receivers. When I say early, I mean below SN: 15,000.
Pair it with a good USGI barrel and it's GTG.