Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2020, 08:59 AM

FLD, if you reload you might consider going with light SWC loads. I also have arthritis issues and load a 190 home cast SWC backed by 3.1 grs of Bullseye. Needed a 10 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound hammer spring for function in my SA Range Officer but really made a **********cat out of it. Biggest issue now is weight of the pistol not recoil.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:05 AM

Keep in mind prior to being put into storage the 45ís were rebuilt to be ready to issue if needed. Should be ready to go out of the box. Putting a fresh recoil spring is not a terrible idea, and honestly I did simply because I had one already laying around. I found somewhat to my surprise that mine functions fine with light for caliber 160 lead semi wadcutter bullets. I load them down to the lightest load that will function the gun.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
FLD, if you reload you might consider going with light SWC loads. I also have arthritis issues and load a 190 home cast SWC backed by 3.1 grs of Bullseye. Needed a 10 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound hammer spring for function in my SA Range Officer but really made a **********cat out of it. Biggest issue now is weight of the pistol not recoil.
I don't reload but there's a lgs that reloads to customer requests. Unfortunately, at the present time they can't buy components. I'd love to try your reloads. They'd undoubtedly be a lot easier on my hands and wrists.
I'd be hesitant to say these pistols were rebuilt, although some probably were. Using mine as an example, I'd consider "inspected, replaced as necessary with serviceable components" a more accurate description. Many undoubtedly received new components when serviceable used components were not readily available.
There were no new parts in mine but with the exception of the recoil and firing pin springs, the components are within allowable tolerances with rough file marks on the sear and hammer.
That's said, I'm extreme!y happy to have had the opportunity to acquire this service grade pistol. It's exactly as the CMP's description of a service grade. No complaints.

Last edited by FLD; 11-27-2020 at 11:30 AM.