Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
Thanks FLD. Does that recommendation come with all three grades?
That recommendation comes with all CMP firearms.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks, JH.
I feel I should clarify part of my post. In my opinion, one should perform the safety/function tests that are outlined in the included manual before every trip to the range.
I feel this is especially important if the pistol has been detail stripped.
Maybe I tend to be a bit on the over cautious side, but after a detail strip and assembly I load a couple of magazines with one round and a couple more mags with two rounds, just to do my best to make sure the hammer is not going to follow the slide during cycling.
I certainly don't know everything there is to know about the 1911 or any other firearm, and I'm certain others here may have an opinion that differs from mine. I encourage folks to let me know if/when I'm wrong or if there's a better/easier/safer way to do things. And there are many, many folks on this forum that are much more knowledgeable than I am.
I will never be offended when it comes to safe operation of firearms.
There. That's more than I've said in a long time
Old 10-19-2020, 09:18 PM

I believe CMP is wanting to remind users that these are used firearms that have seen harsh service. I am amazed at the stories of people who receive a firearm from CMP and go directly to the range, suffer a problem only to find out a cleaning and/or proper lube was all that was needed.
I detail strip every new-to-me firearm with the intention of learning how it works (if it's a new to me type), remove any preservative oils, inspect and confirm the condition and operation of the parts, and properly lube. New from the factory, bought from a close friend or received from CMP, they all get that.
I have found missing or broken parts on new from the factory as well as received from CMP, it happens.
I urge others to inspect and lube all CMP firearms before heading to the range; they in no way claim they are shipped in that condition. Nor do the manufacturers of new firearms.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 PM

I watched your video and there is certainly something going on with the safety/hammer. Most likely the safety is where the damage is. It’s a softer steel than the hammer and a consumable part on 1911s. Just find someone who can work on 1911s. Safety is pretty easy but not a lot of good 1911 smiths out there locally unless you are lucky. Keep the original for prosperity.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Thank you SHeeple Fighter, but I think I have actually ruled that out.

I tried another 1911A1 thumb safety (Remington Rand, actually) and the gun behaves exactly the same. It appears the safety in my pistol was fitted properly with the just enough taken off the sear engagement surface.

I do think that I am getting close to narrowing down what is causing the safety to drag and to have to be forceful when fully engaging the thumb safety. I believe it is related somehow to the hammer not going back all the way. Only when I pull the hammer all the way back, will the thumb safety fully engage all the way up with minimal effort, as it should.

When the thumb safety is disengaged, I noticed that there is some forward movement in the hammer. The photos below show that the gap between the hammer and the grip safety changes when the thumb safety is on and off. Tighter gap when safety on and wider gap when off.

Below is a another video with some commentary. Listen to the sound it makes when I force the thumb safety fully into position. Note that I was INCORRECT in the video when I said the grip safety must be engaged for the thumb safety to move upward without resistance - it does not have to be engaged.

Thank you guys, again, for your thoughts and helpful comments so far. I love this gun and I am determined to get it this issue resolved so that I can go and have some fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evi5nl2zex...%20PM.mov?dl=0

Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-22-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Hello Blackford Oakes. I've been following your saga since the original posting of October 9th.
I've read and reread these pages and it occurred to me, and I didn't read it, that CMP 1911 customer service would be the people to contact about it. If I missed that, apologies from the guy who doesn't remember what I had for breakfast the past 3 days. I also don't recall the contact address but there are some sharp guys (and gals) out there on this forum who would search that. The suggestions from the forum members are pretty darn insightful and great advice if you want to DIY. Good luck ... it's an interesting, if not, odd operational situation. See you at the range !! Dana