Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2017, 06:34 AM

Default M1 carbine match and new barrel rules(twist rate)

So it's my understanding a new production barrel is legal for the carbine match as long as it's the same profile, correct?
Now can you change the twist rate and be legal?
Now legal or not what would be the better twist rate for the 30 carbine? Also if I used a different bullet would that be legal as I see the rules say
"Any safe ammunition"
Old 08-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Can you use a different bullet other than the 110gr FMJ RN? Is there one out there that will function? Lead RN, perhaps?

(I am just picturing a 168 SMK crammed into that case)

As the inspections go, I SEVERELY DOUBT anyone is going to test out the twist rate of any barrel...if you found one to work better.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
Can you use a different bullet other than the 110gr FMJ RN? Is there one out there that will function? Lead RN, perhaps?

(I am just picturing a 168 SMK crammed into that case)

As the inspections go, I SEVERELY DOUBT anyone is going to test out the twist rate of any barrel...if you found one to work better.
well they didnt feed from the magazine but i tried some 110 grain nosler varmint bullets and they shot well.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Not Much Of A Bullet Selection? ...

Assuming the USGI or type magazine must be employed, it does not leave much room to wiggle on bullet weights and types. Like already said better, do the rules allow cast bullets? If sossss, would sizing to a particular bore give one any advantage? Dunno.

Edited added: If the rules only allow FMJ, then one could/would assume that custom hand loads could also be used hand sizing the hand picked FMJ bullets? That and precision hand loads may make a difference. But not safe in other carbines? Probably so.

Or do the rules only allow USGI FMJ ammo? Dunno.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 08-27-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added second paragraph
Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 AM

CMP Games Rule 5.3.3 Ammunition:
Competitors may use any safe ammunition. Handloads are permitted. No tracer, armor piercing or incendiary-type ammunition or projectiles may be used.

I shoot Lyman 311359 sized to .310. It shoots better than ball ammo out of my carbine.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM

Default Thank You Dollar Bill ...

Thank you Dollar Bill. Now a silly often asked question. Where can I computer access the complete rules on M1 Carbines and AR15 rifles? Gun modifications, tuning, cheating and hand loads? We now have an Inland that shoots very well indeed.