Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMFn542bob View Post
Last week I upgraded my point-and-shoot 1.2 megapixel Epson PhotoPC 750Z to a 10 megapixel Panasonic DMC-ZS1. Both cameras
have auto focus, optical zoom and macro. There are several differences: the Epson camera is 10 years old and cost $500 new and a
48 meg memory card cost $100.
My new Panasonic was under $200 and a 8 gigabyte memory card costs less than $20. I think both cameras take great closeups but
the Epson has to be used in telephoto and macro mode. The picture below was taken with with the Panosonic and no flash, no
telephoto zoom and no macro. The camera has a 7 element wide angle Leica lens and has more processing power and features than
I will ever use. In the world of cameras today it's considered a basic camera. I am very happy with it. The picture file size shown below
is below is 3648 x 2736 pixels and compressed by the camera to 4,765 KB in a JPEG format. I have placed line breaks in the text to
force it to wrap within the width of the photo, otherwise you would possibly
have to pan your screen to see all of the text. (Maybe some will have to do that anyway.)
It's clean, but not too sharp.Could be better
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default It's clean, but not too sharp.Could be better

It's clean, but not too sharp.Could be better

Come on now, it's a $200 camera.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Great info! Like you started out and said time is the best investment!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM

I have a heck of a time, I can take good photos, but it takes many tries. Besides the obvious of more light is always good, I always, always figure that for every 5-10 pictures, only a couple will come out perfect.

So, plan on many pictures not being perfect and that you have to take extra. With digital, it makes it no extra cost, just delete what you don't like.

I have used 'natural' lighting and light box, and they work well, but indirect, natural lighting works best for me, supplemented with additional lighting.

Ed
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Here's a link to some recent photos I took and a description of my setup. Let me know if anyone needs additional info.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=90644
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM

When I shoot -- oops, take a pic of -- a gun, if the finish is dark I try to use a darker background (animal pelts can make fun backgrounds) to keep the contrast down. My little point and shoot can only do so much on it's own. With digital, quantity is cheap. Take lots of shots, experiment.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 PM

I took a shot at it.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198

Last edited by Hawky; 12-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Nikon d40s are great cameras, very light and compact for the type, not current and thus can be had inexpensively, simple to operate in auto mode or you can be as creative as you want and the Nikon lenses are excellent and interchangeable (of course). I highly recommend them and they let you grow if you want. I have much more expensive professional cameras but keep picking up my old d40 all the time.