Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM

I need a cigarette after that. Extremely well done sir.

Reported for sticky!

Last edited by Fogtripper; 04-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM

Well done. You said it will be a competition rifle, indeed that is the case, the non slip stick on added to the butt plate is considered external mod for a service rifle in CMP matches and possibly the NRA. I saw a competitor get DQ'ed at Perry one year for having such item added to his rifle grip.

You can use spray on adhesive, but not any tape.

Last edited by bamban; 04-25-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 AM

Excellent detailed work. Wish I had room for the tooling! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamban View Post
Well done. You said it will be a competition rifle, indeed that is the case, the non slip tick on added to the butt plate is considered external mod for a service rifle in CMP matches and possibly the NRA. I saw a competitor get DQ'ed at Perry one year for having such item added to his rifle grip.

A good point and if its ruled a "permanent" modification its best peeled off before hitting the line.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 AM

This may be a stupid question, but don't you need to inlet the stock for the glass bedding? Or is this not necessary for a fiberglass stock?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokiWartooth View Post
don't you need to inlet the stock for the glass bedding? Or is this not necessary for a fiberglass stock?
McMillan stocks are already "inletted" with oversized channels for the receiver legs and rear lug.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
McMillan stocks are already "inletted" with oversized channels for the receiver legs and rear lug.
Let me rephrase that... Cutting channels and drilling holes for a good foundation for the bedding material.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 PM

McMillan does a great job inletting the stock if you select the option. There is enough clearance for bedding material and you can start preparing it out of the box for the finishing work needed. You should prep a wood stock in a similar fashion.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 AM

[QUOTE=cal50;825538]Front Ferrule~

This is an important item and consider it part of your foundation, if its screwed up count on problems down the road. McMillan does an EXCELLENT job on their stocks and inletting.
That being said we are all human and it warrants checking your stock for straightness, channel fit and squareness. No hurry and make sure its right before moving on.
I modded a standard stock ferrule to "NM" style with the added clearance. Some may make it larger or a different shape but the main task is clearance around the gas cylinder AND that its parallel and level to the stock once mounted. I modded my ferrule then steel bedded it after trial fit and checking for alignment. Once cured over night I used a hand file (rat-tail) to clear the stock and even it up with the steel ferrule. Cosmetics & clearance for your gas cylinder.

Modified Front~

Your relief of the foreend should run a bit higher by military NM standards, Here's how the military (Army and USMC) does it. Once caveat, if you have deep indents on the ferrule, be careful, it's easy to relieve it to where you'll hit the indent and have a hole.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/ro...96864.jpg.html

Last edited by rojkoh; 05-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamban View Post
Well done. You said it will be a competition rifle, indeed that is the case, the non slip stick on added to the butt plate is considered external mod for a service rifle in CMP matches and possibly the NRA. I saw a competitor get DQ'ed at Perry one year for having such item added to his rifle grip.

Nez, are they allowing the Mac M1A stocks? Just curious. I started using the Mac stocks in 77 or 78. 1st gens were "interesting" to bed before the liners came out for them. 2nd gen are easy. Got 5 in the stock safe.