Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM

That PPT was good stuff.

You really should convert that to a PDF, which is (basically) a read-only format. This will make it difficult for someone to make a few changes and claim it as their own document.

Also, PDF is a little more portable.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 PM

There is a pdf version.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSpitter View Post
Well, just wanted to update and say I bought the tools, action wrench and barrel vise and Clymer Go, No-Go and Field gauges and did it myself.

I hate to ask this, but would you estimate about how much everything cost?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet41 View Post
Great post on changing a barrel. Where did you purchase your reamer and handle, what is the product information. The reamers I see on the Brownell's or Midway web sight's don't seem to have the handle. Do you remove the screw holding the barrel bushing in place and insert the handle there? Once again, Great Post.
You can rent a pull through reamer, and head space gauges. As for the handle, you use a collet type tap holder to slip over the pull through's rod.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.p...dspace+Reamers
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

Guys, the most expensive tool you see there is the Pull through reamer which can be rented as noted by someone else. Other tools include these:

Angle finder:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubCategoryName=

Barrel Vise:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARREL-VISE-W-5-...item563f1f8c14

Action Wrench. Unfortunately CMP doesn't sell the honkin' wrench you see pictured any more but this one will do you fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTION-WRENCH-GA...item563e995e56

He sells the barrel vise and action wrench as a combo for less than he sells them individually. Write him. It's a very versatile barrel vice. You can get inserts to change just about any barrel. I've changed 03's, Ruger commercial, Garand, reminton commercial all with the same vise and correct inserts. It's also no-mar.

I actually made one using this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/M1-Garand-Adapte...item2c55096e6a

Add a piece of square stock with a handle welded to it and drill it to match the adapter holes. It also works great.

Forster Go and No-Go gages for about $25 each at Midway.

As you can see the process is not really rocket science.

Action wrench and vise $150
Forster gages $50
Pull through reamer $160
Angle finder about $10

<$380 for all you need.

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 08-31-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Default help?

Hello all,
I'm new to this and have a 1966 danish VAR barrel along with all the parts minus the receiver that i bought as a group. It seems the previous owner kept his receiver. I just received my new receiver from CMP and based on the information you all provided, i"m thinking of giving it a go to install the barrel myself. My question is. do I have to ream the chamber out on a used barrel? Before i spend all the money on the tools is it cost effective. I dont have any gunsmiths close to where i am (or i have'nt found one yet) and i dont think i can afford to send it out to fulton or the like. Your thoughts?

thanks Joe
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM

Not so simple answer is: Yes and No. If your barrel has previously been installed and reamed then there is a good chance it'll screw on and headspace correctly. If it's a NOS (new old stock) barrel then you'll probably have to ream it. You will not know for sure until it is installed. There are too many variables in play to say for certain.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Excellent presentation, Thank you very much!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM

Would the procedure be exactly the same for installing a m14 barrel? What about the chrome lining on usgi m14 barrels? Any advice would be considered helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:07 AM

ok i went and ordered my vise and wrench and gauges. I received the tools today and it worked out well. It took a little more elbow grease than i thought but lined up great. now i just have to wait fro my CMP go/ nogo gauges to arrive so i can check the headspace.