Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 AM

I just read through this thread and the barrel procedure. I can make the barrel vise and wrench as I work in a machine shop from time to time where I work. Would have to buy the reamer though.

Question is unless I'll be changing a lot of barrels it's not worth it, how much does someone charge to do this?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I bought my action wrench from Chestnut Ridge. Its kind of pricey, but is the best one I've ever seen. I have the CMP barrel vice and, as long as your work bench is level, it levels the barrel every time. I bought my finish reamer from Midway. Everything works exactly like this ppt shows and my first attempt turned out perfectly. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I had feared and the feeling of pride in your accomplishment is worth it all. Thanks for posting this on the forum.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I can't seem to access that M1 replacement file that you listed. It goes to 4 shared site and it wants money to subscribe to it. Are you charging money for youre free advise or is it that I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post
I can't seem to access that M1 replacement file that you listed. It goes to 4 shared site and it wants money to subscribe to it. Are you charging money for youre free advise or is it that I don't know what I'm doing.
It just worked for me . I think you're doing something wrong.

Jon
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Toki,

4D Reamer Rentals will rent you the pull-through reamer. Mine is the Clymer that Brownells sells, and I got both a Clymer handle that engages the extension with set screws and the extension for it when I bought it years ago. I don't know if 4D has that handle for rent as well, but you can ask.

A vice and action wrench weigh a lot to mail around the country, though, and if don't want to buy those for yourself, you might ask for partners interested in sharing one at your local gun club. I think the CMP vice and others have different inserts you can buy that let you do different actions and barrel diameters, so the partners need not be Garand owners necessarily.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks, Toki
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Toki,

4D Reamer Rentals will rent you the pull-through reamer. Mine is the Clymer that Brownells sells, and I got both a Clymer handle that engages the extension with set screws and the extension for it when I bought it years ago. I don't know if 4D has that handle for rent as well, but you can ask.

A vice and action wrench weigh a lot to mail around the country, though, and if don't want to buy those for yourself, you might ask for partners interested in sharing one at your local gun club. I think the CMP vice and others have different inserts you can buy that let you do different actions and barrel diameters, so the partners need not be Garand owners necessarily.
Clymers pull thru reamers are expencive; I wonder how good are the PTG's that Midway USA sells ?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Order direct from PTG. Pacific Tool and Gauge. I did that with a 308 Win reamer to go with the 30-06 Pull Through set I have already. They also sell pull throughs for 30 Carbine.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM

PTG is a good company. I have some a couple of their reamers with live pilots with through-barrel pressure lubrication grooves underneath for chambering barrels on my lathe. They were not less expensive than Clymer at the time I got mine (probably 15 or 20 years ago), but that may have changed since then. I believe I bought mine directly from Clymer. Dave Manson was still working for them at the time. He's the guy I now buy from first when a product is something he makes, just because he's been very helpful and steered me away from wasting money a couple of times in the past.

Manson makes the pull-through reamers, too. He calls them Headspacing Reamers. Page 9 of his catalog, here. $150 for the reamer with thrust bushing and extension rod, which is cheaper than either Midway or Brownells. The handle is separate, same as they are.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member

Last edited by Unclenick; 11-30-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Exclamation

Just remember guys that after installing a new barrel it's the perfect opportunity to dp the bolt to receiver lapping BEFORE you headspace ream. It's simple and my instructions are also here in the How To's and it doesn't take any special tools. It may not increase accuracy bit it will certainly smooth out the function of the action.

Just a thought to consider.

I'm glad my barrel changing instructins are helping everyone out. As you can see it's not rocket science if you have the tools. 1000+ hits on the file so far.

Here's the link to all the original files. If I can figure the Website out again I'll try to upload the PDF versions too.

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/l...m/sharing.html

Have fun,

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 11-30-2010 at 07:32 PM.