Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
IMHO, birch? Stain the heck out of it. Walnut? No need for stain whatsoever.
Finishing a walnut is quite different than a birch.
One would think, but that is what they do. I have confirm this on my last CMP walnut stock. As someone pointed out, the reationale seems to be even out the color. Also imagine there is a component to make it look more traditional since they sit side by side with used stocks and the stain is cheaper than the oils.

If you buy a 'finished' stock from Dupage, they throw a coat of BLO on it specifically to allow better matching components as you dont know how each piece will react till you throw something on it.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Oh man. Confusing. Too many options. I'm not an expert guys. I think I'd like to do something simple, probably just involving Tung Oil.

Should I apply a couple coats of Tung Oil and then at the end put on Minwax Tung Oil Finish? Has anyone done that? Or are you not supposed to mix and match those?

I'm not even clear on what "Finish" signifies. How is it different from just plain Tung Oil?
Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM

"Finish" signifies that it produces a hardshell varnish finish rather than the oil finish that the name suggests.

"Finish" over "Oil" is OK ... "Oil" over "Finish" just makes a wasteful mess.

EDIT: BTW, Duce mentioned Tung Oil Finisher ... first time I have ever heard of Tung Oil Finisher ...

Last edited by The Original Youngblood; 05-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Youngblood View Post
"Finish" signifies that it produces a hardshell varnish finish rather than the oil finish that the name suggests.

"Finish" over "Oil" is OK ... "Oil" over "Finish" just makes a wasteful mess.

EDIT: BTW, Duce mentioned Tung Oil Finisher ... first time I have ever heard of Tung Oil Finisher ...
So am I supposed to put Tung Oil on the wood first and then Minwax Tung Oil Finish?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundle View Post
So am I supposed to put Tung Oil on the wood first and then Minwax Tung Oil Finish?
I wouldn't put any Minwax Tung Oil Finish at all but if you're going to do so it should be last.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundle
FWIW, *I* would not put Tung Oil Finish on it at all, but that would be the correct order.

That said, I have used Minwax Tung Oil Finish on a couple of my milsurps that I expected to be rained/snowed on periodically.

Just in case you are confusing the meaning of the name "Tung Oil Finish" ... it is a product that is claimed to produce a finish on furniture that looks like one done with real Tung Oil, but is more durable because of the varnish in it.

"Tung Oil Finish" is not meant to refer to that product as something you should use as a last step after using real Tung Oil.

Just in case you were confused by that.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original EDIT: BTW, [B
Duce[/B] mentioned Tung Oil Finisher ... first time I have ever heard of Tung Oil Finisher ...
Hence the reason I'm always reluctant to post anything here. Too many DebbieDowners and GrammarNazis.

To the OP... As stated in my first post, I wouldn't mix/match PTO with TOF. If you go with PTO, it needs to cure over time. If you throw a coat of TOF over it, you're really just wasting the PTO as the TOF contains hardeners and will only cover up the PTO. As previously mentioned, TOF is more of a varnish and if you read the label, there is very, very little Tung Oil even in it. TOF in name is quite misleading in that regard.

OP... If you have this many questions, before doing anything I would recommend doing some research and reading up on the different processes. For the most part, you really can't do any permanent damage unless you use some exotic stain that won't come out. Just go ahead and try what you want to try. If you don't like the results, take some stripper, acetone and/or mineral spirits to it and then try again.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM

OK guys, I'm going to first try to clean up the dirty parts of the stock using mineral spirits. After it dries off, I'll apply Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I like the idea of the stock being as well-protected as possible while still looking authentic. I'll post some photos and tell everyone how it goes.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:33 AM

If you want to use only Minwax Tung Oil Finish , go ahead. But do not apply Pure Tung Oil after you have applied the Minwax Tung Oil - it will be a waste. To obtain good results , apply 5 to 7 coats of Pure Tung Oil - then finish off with Minwax Tung Oil Finish.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonlobo View Post
My preference is to finish with tung oil as it provides a little more protection than the BLO and tends to turn more red over time.
No, it doesn't.

Tags
linseed oil, stock oil