Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Default M-1 Rear Sight Tension

I just got a H and R M-1 Garand 308 cal. and the rear sight is very loose with
the elevator and windage needing the tension increased and the clicks more
louder to hear. It will be some time before I get to the range to actually
zero in. The booklet that came with the rifle is not too clear as to which screw
should be loosened only when the sight is at the bottom. Is it the screw in the middle of the left knob, or the small screw on the right knob that needs the special M-1 tool? I have the latest type sight. All the parts are either new, or
appear new. Mostly SA. It,s been 65 years ago since I mess with the sight and
I plainly have forgot (Korea)!! Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 PM

jun3bug, see "Tech Info" in the title heading on this page? Click on it and you can search around until you find this:
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...psightone.html

and:
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...esightone.html

Take it apart to see if anything is over-worn or busted. Then reassemble per instructions.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Gunny beat me to it. Here is the link to the rear sight re-assembly section

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...earsight3.html
“If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” - Winston Churchill
Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

No special tools needed. Just a flat-blade screwdriver that fits the slot.
Jon
Old 11-02-2014, 03:00 PM

New M1 owner (from a trip to the South Store 10 days ago). New to the forum. Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. Found a field grade SA (176XXXX with a matching 7-43 SA barrel). The only real disassembly problem I have run into so far is that the windage knob screw is frozen to the point where it will turn about 30 degrees (1/12 turn) before it wants to start turning the elevation knob and raising the aperture. I have shot quite a bit of "Gunzilla" into the assembly in an effort to free it up. Do not feel like forcing it and fouling it up. Anyone have a similar issue? Thank you.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

Hold the knob with a pair of pliers (pad the jaws so as to not mar the finish) to keep it from turning and put your weight behind the screw driver. It will come apart eventually. When you reassemble it make sure the flat inside the threads of the knob are aligned with the flat on the pinion shaft. If it's all aligned, it should screw back together easily. Hopefully some one didn't cross-thread it in assembly and torque it down.
Jon
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Thank you, Jon. Good advice. It came free by clamping the elevation knob with electrical-tape-wrapped Visegrip jaws. The parts look to be in good condition (no stripped threads or corrosion).

Having a great forum like this one makes the sport-hobby-art-science of firearms ownership a lot easier and even more enjoyable. Thank you again.

Ed
Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eso123 View Post
New M1 owner (from a trip to the South Store 10 days ago). New to the forum. Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. Found a field grade SA (176XXXX with a matching 7-43 SA barrel). The only real disassembly problem I have run into so far is that the windage knob screw is frozen to the point where it will turn about 30 degrees (1/12 turn) before it wants to start turning the elevation knob and raising the aperture. I have shot quite a bit of "Gunzilla" into the assembly in an effort to free it up. Do not feel like forcing it and fouling it up. Anyone have a similar issue? Thank you.
Had the same problem with a special I bought from the south store beginning of March. Had to disassemble the rear sight and put it together correctly. Found a video on You tube that was very helpful.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eso123 View Post
Thank you, Jon. Good advice. It came free by clamping the elevation knob with electrical-tape-wrapped Visegrip jaws. The parts look to be in good condition (no stripped threads or corrosion).

Having a great forum like this one makes the sport-hobby-art-science of firearms ownership a lot easier and even more enjoyable. Thank you again.

Ed
FWIW, Irwin/Vice Grip makes pliers that, when closed, are almost round inside the jaws. I took a piece of leather, cut it to fit, and silicone sealed it in place to make a dedicated "tool" for the T105E elevation knob. Works like a champ.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 AM

I've done a few mods with tools to keep pliers (in particular) from marring metal surfaces - only not for weapons work but when working on fishing reels used in salt water that come to me in poor condition (understatement...). My usual procedure when needing to use vise grips or a stillson wrench is to pad the jaws with several layers of masking tape when I need to make sure I'm not tearing up relatively soft (compared to firearms metal) anodized aluminum, or chrome on brass stuff, etc. Works like a charm, the padding is quickly removed afterwards and the tool is back to normal duties..