Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Yes that is approx., here is a pic of a stock that I forgot to check until after I refinished it
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM

OK, so if we DON'T see a sliver of light there, should those areas be sanded a tad? Looks like that's what you did above.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Filed , sanded ,however it is easiest for you. You dont take off much

I probably wouldnt do this to a used USGI stock. If the area in a USGI stock needs wood removed its probably becuase the wood is compressed, so your lockup probably isnt all that good anyway. Removing wood may make lockup even less and this will not help accuracy any
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks all!

Orlando, thanks for re-iterating about the gap between the receiver and stock. Sorry to make you repeat your earlier posts, I just wanted to be absolutely clear.

I should ask, how apparent should this sliver be? I re-checked my rifle last night, and found that, when I REALLY looked hard and turned it around a little for a few minutes, I could glimpse the tiniest sliver in part of that area for just an instant as I titled the rifle toward and away from me. Seems like there might be a very little bit of clearance in there, but perhaps not enough. From your post it sounds like it should be clearly visible when held up to light without having to tilt it all around. Is this correct?

Rondog, so I am correct in assuming that you're advocating no stain? My stock is a CMP stock, not a Boyd's or Dupage. I'm not sure if it has stain in it or not. I suppose I could ask the CMP folks themselves for the information. I guess it's possible the BLO would darken the stock on its own without the stain.

Anyone out there have anything to say about my third and fifth questions above?

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm getting so excited to tune this rifle up!

Cheers,
Lt. Moreau
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Moreau View Post
Rondog, so I am correct in assuming that you're advocating no stain?
Sir, assume nothing about what I'm advocating or not, I'm just the village idiot when it comes to these rifles. I just have a new stock set that's raw walnut with no stain, and I'm torn as to how I'm going to finish it myself.

I have Pure Tung Oil, and part of me says use that, cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.

I also have Fairtrimmer's Military oX, which I've had nice results with before. I'm just not sure I want to use it this time.

There's also Raw Linseed Oil, and Boiled Linseed Oil, and any number of recipes using oil stains, alcohol stains, leather dyes, of all colors and mixes......it's enough to make my head spin.

I honestly don't know what to do, but I'm thinking maybe the tung oil and mineral spirits first for a few coats to moisten the wood good, then top it with Fairtrimmers if I think it needs a little color. But I don't know yet. I still have to make sure the stock is all fitted properly first.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

I like to be able to just slip a piece of paper under the receiver
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM

What is the reason for this skosh of clearance? To allow for wood compression?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Rondog, as I understand it, the clearance under the receiver causes the receiver to flex slightly when it's clamped in. This helps hold it with a certain tension that helps function and accuracy. This from something by Gus Fisher that I read somewhere.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 AM

Kewl! I'll be doing that. Just waiting for a new triggerguard to arrive, and I'm getting a new front stock ferrule w/sling swivel too. On mine, the dang screw is so short and peened so tight I can only turn the screw 1 turn, if that. Kinda hard to fit the ferrule to the stock when all you can do is pound it on and pound it off. I'm not likin' that.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
What is the reason for this skosh of clearance? To allow for wood compression?

Here is a quote from Gus Fisher

"When the receiver is pulled down by a good fitting triggerguard, the receiver actually bends just a bit between the rear of the receiver heel and the portion of the receiver from the rear of the rear legs forward. When the rifle is fired, what we don't want is that area bouncing off the stock both for functioning and accuracy problems that can or will occur. (That's also why on NM Garands that we clear a little more than just being able to see light between the receiver and stock in that area - so such problems can not occur - especially in timed and rapid firing.) "