Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Nice looking Turk, do you have any "before" pictures?

JH
Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 PM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Nice looking Turk, do you have any "before" pictures?

JH
I had already used a can of gunscrub on the stock before taking it apart; but, this is before I started cleaning the 'innerds'. I pushed a 8mm x 12 inch plug of cosmoline out of the barrel; but, it turned out to be in great shape once cleaned. The stock was really permeated with dirt and cosmoline. I pretty much followed Garand Gear's instructions. There are still some stains on the stock. It had been buried in the goo for a long time.

For a hundred dollar LGS purchase, I was pleased. I enjoy shooting it. It shoots a bit better than it's German counter part. The extra weight absorbs that 8mm recoil better.

Sorry, I digress.

I'm still working on the WIN-13. It is my second RLO finish. I'm pretty sold on this path.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Very nice, thanks for the before and after pics.
JH
Old 08-23-2015, 11:16 AM

Here is the WIN-13 I mentioned. I'm going to post more on the M1 Pictures thread; but, I thought the folks here might like to see how pretty 10 coats of raw linseed oil, rubbed in by hand looks like on a new walnut stock.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Looks good to me. What brand of RLO do you use?
JH
Old 08-23-2015, 09:44 PM

I used the same RLO kit from Garand Gear that I used on the Turk Mauser. 6 coats with the 50/50 mix and 4 coats with the pure RLO. It seems to be good stuff.

I will give it another couple of coats at monthly intervals; but, it seems to have taken all the oil it wants for now.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Hope to share something that may be of some value...

I recently received a fairly nice stock set that unfortunately was heavily shellac'ed. I strip most of the stocks I have refinished with brake cleaner (toluene and acetone are main ingredients in the cheap stuff I get locally), and usually shellac comes right off. In this case it was a bit more difficult to remove.

Part of the problem is the evaporation rate of acetone, and needs some 'soak' time. Borrowing a tip from my friend, I laid down a piece of aluminum foil, then wrapped the area of the stock I wanted to strip with two or three payers of paper towels. Sprayed a heavy dowsing of brake cleaner, then wrapped the aluminum foil around the paper towels and stock tightly.

I let the stock set for about five minutes, then unwrapped. The shellac had wrinkled up and came right off with 0000 steel wool. All-in-all, I spent about thirty (30) minutes (or less!) on all three parts...

Not an approach that some need or want to take, but wanted to share this as it's a pretty easy and quick way to remove shellac...

Now, off to the steamers!

Update:

Picked up some DuPage $25 sets, and they were heavily finished as well. Used the same technique as above (but rags this time), and discovered some really nice handguards...

Last edited by Neighbors; 05-02-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More examples...
Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Interesting technique, and it seems to work well. Most shellac melts away with denatured alcohol, but nice to know there is an alternative.

Like many stock solutions, there are several perfectly fine ways to do something (27 ways to remove old oil, 34 to remove varnish, and 15 finishes that work just fine), some may require more/sell work/time, but the end result is the same.
Like cleaners; I find Purple Power is about the best, but the dollar store knock offs get to the same place, maybe with an additional soak/scrub or two. Whatever is handy that day.
JH
Old 07-24-2016, 09:06 PM

I haven't posted in a while; relocation, new job, whatever. Have not been idle.
Here are some recent projects:
Mossberg 44:
I stumbled on this in a used gun store. Not been cleaned in decades, firing pin was frozen, no mag, but solid and complete. It's an M44US(d), not US Property marked. All original, has a nice Weaver mount and 4x scope. Filthy and unloved. I made a good offer and took home this:

Full disassembly, metal parts had light rusting, bolt was gummed up. Dremel polish on the bolt, all else got polishing, cleaning and oil. Bore looks great.
Stock: red and green dots missing and triggerguard "iffy". A call to Mr. Havelin had the parts I needed on the way.
This time I did no strip or aggressive clean. I used 50/50 turpentine and BLO and scrubbed with green scotchbrite (dollar tree version, a bet less coarse). 2-3 sessions and it looked great. A bit extra attention (and soaked more in oil) for the 2 lines in the middle of the stock. Then a coat or 2 of full strength BLO and here she is:

DSC_4492
DSC_4493

The lines are barely visible, they aren't now (8 months later). Interesting marks on the front right; critters or matches?
As you can see the metal finish is light, not sure if I want to do anything about it. I've only used touch up blue in my past, not sure if sending it out would make sense given the value. But it looks great now. I have since removed the scope in favor of the Mossberg aperture sights. I also added one of Mr. Thompsons's leather 1907 slings (in the CMP "other" sale section).
Not quite a Milsup (just a marking on the barrel), but remains a quality and accurate vintage rimfire, so fit's my needs well.
JH
Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 PM

So 2 weeks after I found the M44 above the same shop had a beat up Mossberg 42 M(b). I asked if they had any more, they said they just had the 2, every time they put one out I bought it. I made an offer and walked home with this:
DSC_4500
DSC_4504
DSC_4506
Bonus was it had 1 magazine, and because of the "broken stock" I got it for under $100 (hey, look at the loose stuff on the rusty bolt).
1st step was to fix the stock. I use epoxy but heard many people talking about Gorilla Glue, and have tried it on other wood projects so gave it a shot here. I applied per directions but was unable to get a good clamp so used some strapping tape.
DSC_4509
It worked fine, but I see no advantages over epoxy (for a repair like this). And epoxy dries clear. But this will remain in my arsenal, it has some great qualities.
DSC_4517
I sanded a bit to blend it. My stain had dried out, so I used a half dozen coats of Fairtrimmers, still needs some stain.
Again, I scrubbed 3-4 times with 50/50 turpentine and BLO, followed by a few coats of BLO. All over the course of a weekend.
The metal was in worse shape than the M44 (more rusting), and the bolt took some time with the dremel and a polishing wheel. But she cleaned up great.

DSC_4522
DSC_4519

I removed the sights for now (the rear doesn't fit under the scope) and used the scope mount from the M44 on this. I found a deal on a Weaver C6 on ebay (over the 4x I had) and here she is. Figure the M44 will be for iron sights and this will be for scopes.
DSC_4515
Interesting grain, this is not water damage.
After these 2 I'm always on the lookout for vintage rimfires and scopes. As long as the light is good the old Weavers are great scopes.
JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 07-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.