Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Can you do sitting without crossing legs or ankles? In other words put each elbow on top of a kneecap. Not as stable a sitting position as crossed, but still better than kneeling.

I did that for a while after a hip replacement until I could sit cross legged again.
Actually, in the old days, it was common for some shooters to shoot with elevated knees in the sitting position. You don't want to place your elbows on your knee, however. Bone to bone contact is not good. You need to stretch a little further over and rest your upper arms (just above the elbow) on your knees. Obviously, this isn't as stable as a lower sitting position but it does work. Rick
Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Just came across this thread and it's got me curious. I have about given up on shooting JCG and Vintage Military CMP, due to having two cervical fusions in my neck. They render it nearly impossible for me to shoot the prone position. My question would be, under CMP rules, can I compete substituting the standing offhand for prone position. I realize I wouldn't be competitive, but I'd still compete if that would be legal.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:35 PM

Oscar,

I can't say what they would do at Camp Perry, or the other big travel venues. But as long as you are safe, I'd expect that any moderately reasonable match director at a local club match would let you do that.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlovel View Post
Just came across this thread and it's got me curious. I have about given up on shooting JCG and Vintage Military CMP, due to having two cervical fusions in my neck. They render it nearly impossible for me to shoot the prone position. My question would be, under CMP rules, can I compete substituting the standing offhand for prone position. I realize I wouldn't be competitive, but I'd still compete if that would be legal.
They might be more inclined to let you substitute sitting or kneeling if you're able to shoot those positions, and I doubt any CMP match, or even local club would let you fire rapids standing, I know our club would not. In any event you'd likely be firing out of the competition and just for fun, I know I'd let you do so at our club CMP/GSM matches.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Having several friends with cervical (neck) problems who cannot shoot prone, I was glad to see CMP place a specific rule into the latest rule book allowing a less stable potion to be substituted. I assume this allows sitting kneeling and standing in GSVMM matches....and rapids. The standing rapid is unusual, but CMP does it in the Rimfire Sporter Match. I have formed a couple firing positions at my range on a considerable up slope to help the "stiff neck" shooters. So far, no takers except me.. Good Shooting. ...