Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Its a scoped surplus rifle match now, its meaningless to pretend otherwise and Weaver scopes should be authorized for everything...Mausers, Enfields Garands. Weavers are hardly "issue" scopes for 1903a4 , thus if authorized for matches by CMP for those rifles, just grant them approval for all rifles.

Not like historical accuracy is being used anyway, one fantasy scope being legal should be legal across the board.

Standards...just okay Tasco too, don't hold back.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:18 PM

In the spirit of the pursuit of the authentic, perhaps we should eliminate reproductions and non-originally built rifles as well, thus limiting the competition only to those willing to sacrifice their first-born in the quest for purity.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM

FWIW the Weaver K3 was never authorized for the M1903A4.

About 10 years ago when the rules for Vintage Sniper were first being drafted the [B]Weaver K3[/B was suggested as a possible approved alternate for the A4. However, when the final rule was published the K3 had been dropped.

The Weaver K3 has been approved for British Enfield No.4 Mk 1 T.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
In the spirit of the pursuit of the authentic, perhaps we should eliminate reproductions and non-originally built rifles as well, thus limiting the competition only to those willing to sacrifice their first-born in the quest for purity.

I'd be in but the rules say that I can't shoot my original USMC/Unertl sniper rifle because it's in a (it's original) straight stock (rules specify it must be pistol grip).

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE. You have pointed out (another) obvious and unforgivable omission in the rules that has been there for years. Good Shooting. ...[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpecial View Post
I'd be in but the rules say that I can't shoot my original USMC/Unertl sniper rifle because it's in a (it's original) straight stock (rules specify it must be pistol grip).

Where did you get the impression that M1941 sniper rifles had S stocks? I've never seen one that didn't have a C stock. In fact, most were made from NM rifles which had C stocks to begin with. Jim Gaynor, what do you think? Rick
Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM

The rifle documented in this thread, S/N 1459600, USMC Special Target would seem to prove otherwise

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=213709
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Yes, my rifle (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=213899) is also wearing a straight stock. Which, per the cmp rules (https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf), page 50 state it has to be in a C-stock; therefore my rifle is not allowed in the vintage sniper match despite being an original USMC sniper

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Where did you get the impression that M1941 sniper rifles had S stocks? I've never seen one that didn't have a C stock. In fact, most were made from NM rifles which had C stocks to begin with. Jim Gaynor, what do you think? Rick
Well there are two things:
1. I have a USMC document that specifies that "a full pistol grip stock is to be used If available"

2. There its a photograph that has been circulating on the net and in reference material for a number of years that shows two Marines firing these rifles from a fox hole. The presence of a grasping groove stock is clearly visible on at least one of the rifles.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Well. I suppose #1 provides some excuse for the CMP rule. However, the picture negates #1 IMO, and why dictate the type of stock when the shooters could have a historically correct choice of what they prefer? What about pre WW2 1903 sniper rifles with Winchester or Lyman A5 scopes?? The C stock rule is unnecessary, burdens competitors, adds unnecessary costs and never should have been in the book. There are other obvious errors in the sniper rules such as the mythical U S Marine Kollmorgen 1903A4. A few minutes of attention to these things seems to be unimportant to the CMP Rules committee. Good Shooting. ...