Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 PM

Default How to - get instant notifications?

I have always wondered how some people get instant notifications of new posts in some of the CMP forums and reply within 4 minutes. I get the once-daily emails about new threads started, and semi-instant emails whenever someone posts a new reply to a thread I am watching (subscribed to). The CMP moderators were helpful in pointing those options out on my profile settings.

But I have never figured out a way to get an instant email / text msg / phone call / whatever, whenever someone starts a new thread, such as in the Marketplace WTS forum. If someone starts a new WTS thread, I see it the next morning with my daily updates email. Yet, someone has seen it and posted a reply within mere minutes of the original start of the thread. How do they know the new thread was started? Do people stay logged in to the forums all day long? Is there a notification bell that sounds when a new thread is started and you are logged in to the forum (and I need to update my Windows 7)?

If anyone has a trick, or phone app, or better email server or whatever to get real-time notification of the start of a new thread in a forum, I would certainly appreciate knowing how to do that. Thanks for any guidance. John H
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM

I know of no way to get instant emails etc of new post. It might be possible with some application, but not on the profile settings.

Guess you need to be logged in and looking.

Like you, I do get emails of PMs and threads I'm subscribed to.

Not even sure I would want hundreds of notications each day.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 02-20-2017, 01:02 PM

There is no system that notifies you of every new thread. Some people stay logged on. Some log on throughout the day. Tens of thousands of users on this forum. Logic dictates that as soon as someone posts a new WTS ad, there are a number of folks on to see it instantly
Old 02-20-2017, 02:01 PM

I just click on the "New Posts" button in the center of the blue header at the top of the page. It will show you any new threads or recent posts to old threads since the last time you looked. It isn't an instant notification but it does show you all of the new activity. Don't know if you knew about that or not. It will also show you old posts that you didn't look at. To keep posts you are not interested in from keep being shown, I go to the "quick links" tab in the same blue bar and select mark forums read, which is the second choice from the top.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks, everyone. I just always seem to be a day late and a dollar short on anything I would want from the WTS forum. Thanks for the tips.