Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Default Stock refinishing trick for nice color

I was experimenting with tung oil and stain today and made a great discovery; mix tung oil with Minwax penetrating stain.

Using an broken danish stock I normaly test stain colors to see weather or not they're the right one for the gun. I normally like Minwax penetrating stain in Jacobean or dark walnut with a touch of red mahogany to achieve a nice brown or brown red color. But, I also like the way Tung oil looks as well. Today I got to thinking what would happen if I mixed the best of both worlds. In a plastic cup I took even amounts of dark walnut and tung oil and mixed them really well, naturally the tune oil took the color of the stain which worried me at first. How ever, when I applied it to the stock, I was amazed with the results.

It had the grain popping finish of the tung oil, but the darker color of the stain. I retested the experiment with jacobean and had the same results. In doing this you get the deep penetration of the tung oil with the higher quality color of the stain. For a darker finish, just add a little more stain, for a lighter color, add less, simple as that. Tung oil has a habit of being on the glossy side, in order to cure that I took an old rag (Clean) and just gave it a light rub down while it was still barely tacky and it flattened the finish. Now because it is tung oil, you may need to apply the finish a time or two after the first go untill you have the color or tone you want.

Good luck!
-brooktrout
Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 AM

I did the same thing but used trans tint dye in the tung oil.

I will add though it's easier to control and fix the color if you stain first then seal with the tung oil.
If your 100% Tung oil comes out glossy you did not follow the direction. You need to keep wiping it after you let it soak until it appears dry.
I use bounty paper towels they are "lint free" and work well.

Last edited by mac1911; 02-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM

Based on your comment about tung oil being glossy I think maybe you have "tung oil finish" vs (raw/pure) tung oil as that's flat when dry.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM1A View Post
Based on your comment about tung oil being glossy I think maybe you have "tung oil finish" vs (raw/pure) tung oil as that's flat when dry.
Pure tung oil can indeed be very glossy if you build coats.
Mike B