Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Default 6.6.1 Hardback Shooting Jacket?

I just got the email, like everyone else and am now confused...

The email talks about the relaxing of rule 6.6.1, stipulating that a shooting jacket cannot have a non-flexible back...

6.6.1 Shooting Jackets
Shooting jackets made of flexible material may be worn in CMP Rifle events. Shooting jackets may have shoulder, sling and elbow pads providing those pads are not constructed so as to provide rigid artificial support. Jacket constructions that use back braces, plastic or other non-flexible liners or other non-flexible materials are prohibited.

Does the Creedmoor Hardback coat qualify for this? Was this what the 'hub-bub' was about? Or is there something else?

Not that it matters much, as it sounds like the rule is about to be re-written (or at least specified). I would shudder to think how many Hardbacks are on the firing line, and what Creeedmoor would say about their very profitable product line.

I'm just trying to figure out the intent and the history of this rule.

Thanx

Last edited by Ham_Chu; 05-15-2017 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling errurz
Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 PM

Hardbacks are fine, for now. I'm guessing they will be just fine in 2018.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 PM

I seriously doubt Dennis Demille's Creedmore hardback coats are in danger of being disqualified. I think they'll fall into the "flexible-enough" category.
I believe I heard their hardback material is a type of woven fabric, and yes it's pretty stiff, but you can still flex it.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 05-15-2017, 11:06 PM

It was in regards to Monard coats and how stiff they are.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
It was in regards to Monard coats and how stiff they are.
It's also absolute nonsense invented by people (CMP leadership) who have no clue about this sport.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM

I'd like to see them get rid of shooting coats and purpose specific shooting gloves for AR shooters all together. It would provide some much needed distinction between match rifle and service rifle and might get some M14's back out there. When they allowed 185's for 1911's they closed the gap between the 9mm's. If the M14 crowd kept the coats it might make them more competitive.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlucas0311 View Post
I'd like to see them get rid of shooting coats and purpose specific shooting gloves for AR shooters all together. It would provide some much needed distinction between match rifle and service rifle and might get some M14's back out there. When they allowed 185's for 1911's they closed the gap between the 9mm's. If the M14 crowd kept the coats it might make them more competitive.
Mike, Personally I believe that the rules should be independent of what type of weapon is used. If one shoots an AR, an M14 or an M1, the rules should be the same. To do otherwise only complicates the issue. Selection of a weapon should be based solely on that weapons capability. Rick
Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Rick, I understand your point and actually kind of agree. I guess I'd just like to see service rifle go "back to basics". Whichever past or present service rifle, a web sling, a mat, and maybe even a leather glove w/ or w/o the wool glove liner. Just like boot camp or yearly qual for many. I've always considered match rifle to be the place for all the "stuff" for those that want to shoot that way. I don't think there's currently a very big difference between the two.

Last edited by mtlucas0311; 05-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlucas0311 View Post
Rick, I understand your point and actually kind of agree. I guess I'd just like to see service rifle go "back to basics". Whichever past or present service rifle, a web sling, a mat, and maybe even a leather glove w/ or w/o the wool glove liner. Just like boot camp or yearly qual for many. I've always considered match rifle to be the place for all the "stuff" for those that want to shoot that way. I don't think there's currently a very big difference between the two.
Mike, The idea of going "back to basics" is appealing to many. The problem is "How far back?". Since we are discussing shooting jackets, originally military blouses were used with pads sewed on to the elbows and shoulder. Later, canvas jackets were introduced. Then leather - then cordura nylon - then stiffening of the jacket back - then even more stiffening of the jacket back. I bet if we asked a dozen folks what they thought should be allowed, we'd have at least half a dozen opinions. Everyone has their opinion and many are valid on at least one level.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Could I ask a question of the learned membership:
For vintage sniper, period appropriate attire?
Thoughts?