Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Shipping Rifles from Store

Just to show my ignorance, will the South Store ship rifles I purchase in person at the store in Alabama?

I will be going to the South Store later this week and would like to have any rifles I purchase sent home so that I do not have to worry about thievery as we continue our travels.

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaly View Post
Just to show my ignorance, will the South Store ship rifles I purchase in person at the store in Alabama?

I will be going to the South Store later this week and would like to have any rifles I purchase sent home so that I do not have to worry about thievery as we continue our travels.

Thanks

Mike
My understanding is if you are driving, they will not ship.

Think they want to see an airline ticket to ship.

Good luck on your trip.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....=Kansas+Poster
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Interesting. Could also be to collect sales tax?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
Interesting. Could also be to collect sales tax?
I don't think it matters if taken or shipped(with plane ticket) you will still be taxed since purchased in the store. Could be wrong...
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM

I flew in and purchased a rifle in March. You have to show them a plane ticket for them to ship. If you are driving, they will not ship. You are taxed regardless of whether you ship or not.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't care about being taxed but shipping the rifles back would make life easier than having to worry about securing them in a vehicle at a hotel/motel and carrying them in is not a good thing when one is crippled. Oh well, I will figure it out and drive them home.

Thanks for the assistance.

Mike
Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Default If the CMP won't, you can

Quote:
I don't care about being taxed but shipping the rifles back would make life easier than having to worry about securing them in a vehicle at a hotel/motel and carrying them in is not a good thing when one is crippled. Oh well, I will figure it out and drive them home.

Mike
The general rule is that they will not ship without an airline ticket. Pretty simple, really.

I have always found that asking for something means you are more likely to get it than not asking. You might contact them in advance letting them know of your intention to purchase and that you are traveling. They may accommodate you. But you will never know until you talk to someone in person.

If they will not ship for you, you might at least ask them to have some of the cardboard boxes at the store that they normally ship with (I don't think they keep them there now). When you carry one out now, it only goes into one of the plastic gun cases and I don't think a cardboard box from another source would be very easy to come by. And you probably would want a box if you planned to ship it/them home yourself.

You could always ship them to your Local Gun Store, or other FFL (maybe you have a friend who has an FFL?) as an alternative to traveling with the rifle(s).

If you ship to an FFL, most only require that you have a copy of your Driver's License in it, though I generally include a copy of the FFL of the receiving party as well (don't know if that is required). I think you might also have to pay your FFL a transfer fee since it would go on their books. Of course you would want to discuss with them in advance.

I understand your concern about traveling and staying at hotels with long guns. Not everyone is gun-savy if you can believe that.

Just a couple thoughts cause if you go to the store you NEED to come out of there with something nice

Rob

Oh, you could always just leave whatever you get with me. I promise to take very good care of it
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Mike
I hear ya on all accounts. I used baggage cart to take them into 3 different Hampton Inns on the way home. Fortunately was in the South and only got a few odd looks wheeling cart full of guns through lobby.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Can't you ship a rifle to yourself?
As far as a box goes, the NS was charging something like $16 for one.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Can't you ship a rifle to yourself?
As far as a box goes, the NS was charging something like $16 for one.
Presumably if you're on vacation who's going to receive it? I'd rather tote it around on a trip than leave it on the porch for days.